April 28, 2024, 08:07:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Graduate school chances for chem and physics student?  (Read 5613 times)

Offline scpinion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Graduate school chances for chem and physics student?
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm curious as to what my chances for graduate school are?

I am a dual degree student in chemistry (3.85 GPA) and physics (3.91 GPA). I have two years of research experience (1.5 in chem and 0.5 in physics) but I won't have a publication before I submit my applications next month. My GRE's are 93% (790) quant and 89% (630) verbal but only 48% (4.0) writing, I'm still waiting on the subject test scores to come back. I have 2 semesters of experience as a TA for gen. chem and I'm president and co-founder of the ACS chapter at my university. Any comments on my chances for graduate school or suggestions for what school I might be competitive at? I'm worried my low GRE writing score and lack of a publication will kill my chances at most programs.

Thanks in advance,
scpinion

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Graduate school chances for chem and physics student?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
You are an excellent candidate.
The lack of any publications does not help. but if you have any poster presentations or others, etc, that helps make up for it.

Good recommendation letters are key. That writing score nobody really looks at. It is not a technical writing test, so it is worthless in the science fields.

I would say apply everywhere and anywhere you can. Go ahead and apply to places like MIT and Berkley (IF there is more than 1 person there doing research you are interested in!). I would say apply to 5-6 top tier schools and a couple of middle tier schools as well. Remember, the ranking is nice and impressive sounding, but it means nothing to what type of education you will get and how you will enjoy your experience. Those who hate the research they do and the person they work for hate graduate school; those who enjoy the research and the person they work for consider it the best years of their life.

Sponsored Links