April 18, 2024, 07:19:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electrochemistry  (Read 7340 times)

chemicalLindsay

electrochemistry
« on: May 29, 2004, 08:31:50 PM »
Heres an experiment for the ones who dont want to do anyhting nasty.All you need is sodium chloride,zinc strip,alligator clips,a glass,a milliamneter and a non galvanised iron nail.This experiment involves recording the currents produced in a galvanic cell of salt water at different concentrations.(I hope to use this as my intel youg scientist of the year research and I want to claim first prize so that I can make my own lab and buy some chemicals)

Experiment

Aim-
To observe and carefully note the amperages of salts at certain concentrations in water in a galvanic cell.

Method-
1.Make up salt solutions of 0 molar, 1 molar, 2 molar and 3 molar concentrations.

2.set up apparatus as shown in black and white diagram below.

3.record the amperages of the different outputs with your milliamneter once the hand is steady (The pointer hand will jump at first then it will steady of to an accurate reading)

Results
This is up to you,i used a table to represent mine.

Conclusion
This is also up to you so good luck!

Here are the attached diagrams and photos:

chemicalLindsay

Re:electrochemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 03:57:59 AM »
I know its probably stupid to reply to my own message but Ive found something weard.whenether I construct the circuit the amneter allways rises really fast than drops.What could be causing this (Eg a decrease in the nuber of iron ions)

Sponsored Links