April 19, 2024, 10:35:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electronic ink  (Read 7875 times)

chemicalLindsay

electronic ink
« on: May 30, 2004, 03:32:13 AM »
Hey has anyone heard of electronic ink.Its basically a screen that works by the electrostatic attractions between positive and negative charges.Because what they do is the get two differently charged coloured ions one white and one black.They then place them in microscopic cell of which there are thousands and there is a transarent electrode at the top of the cell and a  electrode at the bottom.And what happens when you apply a positive voltage to the top of one cell and a negative to the other,yeah thats right the ions that are attracted to the positive electrode are attracted there and vice versa.Thus the cell can be made go either black or white with the change of voltage and this is only the basic idea.When you combine millions of these cells you can produce an image like a tv,because if you have the normal cathode ray tube tv you will notice that the images are made up of timy squares of which all have their own colour that is changable.heres a website with some info: http://www.eink.com/technology/index.html

Does anyone know where or how to get  titanium oxide the positive ion thats white.Heres some info about it if you don't know yet ( note the article went a little bit crazy so i Used the picture instead):
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 04:22:40 AM by chemicalLindsay »

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:electronic ink
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 08:32:40 PM »
Titanium dioxide is the pigment used in white paint that replaced the old lead pigment.  It's possible you might
be able to either buy it pure from an art supply store or a paint store or isolate it out of white paint, but
isolation from white paint would be a terrible pain, if you ask me.  I'd strive for the art store if you could.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 08:33:19 PM by hmx9123 »

chemicalLindsay

Re:electronic ink
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 02:54:38 AM »

Sponsored Links