March 29, 2024, 05:25:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ways to extract the sugar out of the milk?(Using chemical and/or physical means)  (Read 14236 times)

Offline UnderJonathan

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
I am doing a project for chemistry and I was given a task..."To extract the sugar out of the milk by chemical and/or physical means, weigh the mass of each and then answer analysis questions based on results" Please help. Only clue I have now is that of using "Acetic Acid" but, I cannot find where to find it or even how to start doing the "extracting".

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
You've picked a tough project, that's for sure.  Sugars are especially difficult to separate.  For starters, go look up what milk is.  What is it made of?  Try to get a general picture, then a very specific one.  And try to see if you can come up with some ideas for separation.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
I did a google and got this and many more to the search
milk sugar extraction

http://courses.chem.psu.edu/chem36/Web%20Syn06/Exp112Syn06.pdf

I did not see any reference to acetic acid though

so i am not sure if this is what you are looking for

BUT
GOOGLE can be your friend

also
WIKI

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_sugar

Offline UnderJonathan

You've picked a tough project, that's for sure.  Sugars are especially difficult to separate.  For starters, go look up what milk is.  What is it made of?  Try to get a general picture, then a very specific one.  And try to see if you can come up with some ideas for separation.
I didn't really pick the topic, it was my teacher. I am in Chemistry Honors..and I am probably in the top 5 of my class..but this is just ridiculous. I can barely separate salt from water in a solution..how am I supposed to do this? Thing is..I have a week to do it. Any other suggestions?

Offline UnderJonathan

I did a google and got this and many more to the search
milk sugar extraction

http://courses.chem.psu.edu/chem36/Web%20Syn06/Exp112Syn06.pdf

I did not see any reference to acetic acid though

so i am not sure if this is what you are looking for

BUT
GOOGLE can be your friend

also
WIKI

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_sugar

Thanks for the file. If you would be kind to look at the end of page 6, it takes about the acetic acid. But I don't know many of those terms, would you help me with this"? Thanks. I need to crystallize the sugar..in order to get its mass. Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff

Thanks for the file. If you would be kind to look at the end of page 6, it takes about the acetic acid. But I don't know many of those terms, would you help me with this"? Thanks. I need to crystallize the sugar..in order to get its mass. Thanks in advance.

That protocol from billnotgatez: is a pretty good one.  It describes all the components of milk, and tries to explain each one well.  Try printing it out and studying it.  It gives you what I wanted you to figure out -- you don't extract the lactose out.  You extract away and/or destroy each other component until there's only lactose in water left.  Particularly using acetic acid to change the milk protein casein into an insoluble clump.

Offline UnderJonathan

That protocol from billnotgatez: is a pretty good one.  It describes all the components of milk, and tries to explain each one well.  Try printing it out and studying it.  It gives you what I wanted you to figure out -- you don't extract the lactose out.  You extract away and/or destroy each other component until there's only lactose in water left.  Particularly using acetic acid to change the milk protein casein into an insoluble clump.
I like your style of "indirect teaching"..but, your response kind of confused me, sorry. And, I scanned through the text..It does help. I will report back when I have all the materials ready..and my results..

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff

I like your style of "indirect teaching"..but, your response kind of confused me, sorry.

That teaching method is actually required on this forumn.  The rules you agreed to when you signed up pretty clearly said so.  Lots of the noobs are missing that 'tho.

And, I scanned through the text..It does help. I will report back when I have all the materials ready..and my results..

Excellent, lets see how it goes for you.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
Usually in a good report you have to write up background as well as the experimental technique etc.
When I saw the link I posted it seemed to get you all the background as well as the procedure.
Armed with that information you should get a A++  :)
We are rooting for you!!

Offline UnderJonathan

Usually in a good report you have to write up background as well as the experimental technique etc.
When I saw the link I posted it seemed to get you all the background as well as the procedure.
Armed with that information you should get a A++  :)
We are rooting for you!!

Sorry to reply so late but, I have good news. I got a 100% and I went to districts (too bad I didn't go further, I'm still proud of myself). Thank you and thanks to everyone who helped.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Yay.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
most excellent
 :)

Thank you for letting us know

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Congratulations!
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links