April 23, 2024, 07:59:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Theory on analyzing plasma by direct injections?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline nato888

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Theory on analyzing plasma by direct injections?
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
How can analysis of blood plasma be achieved with minimal sample pretreatment?
Ok so i know that in plasma analysis one would traditionally you either use lle, spe or even protein precipitation to remove unwanted compounds.
My question is how could we go about analyzing the plasma with direct injections.
Is the answer to use a monolithic column to both to remove the matrix macromolecules and perform the separation? If so then how does the monolithic column achieve this? Thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Theory on analyzing plasma by direct injections?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
No, I don't believe the advanced permeability of monolith columns prevent the media from becoming fouled by plasma proteins and lipids.  There are applications out there for direct plasma injection, but they're highly specialized:  the analyte must not interact with plasma proteins, for one thing, and must be ideally suited to the analysis method.  Still, the column will last less long if your don't pre-process.  Maybe, you could use online pre-processing, say with some sort of guard column for absorbing most plasma proteins, that you change often.  But doing such things is frowned on -- its an auditing, documenting, regulatory, and method development nightmare.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links