April 29, 2024, 09:02:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mechanisms Help Sources  (Read 6177 times)

Offline OrgoloathesJess

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Learning how to learn the painful Organci Chem
Mechanisms Help Sources
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »
Hello everyone! I have a take home mechanism help and I am having trouble understanding the questions, I having trouble understanding the whole test. I have been looking for good sources online that may explain mechanisms better but I cannot find any. If any one knows of any good sites explaining mechanisms it would be great to know. thanks

Offline OrgoloathesJess

Re: Mechanisms Help Sources
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:20 PM »
Jesus, I must have been distracted when I typed that.

I did find one source on youtube. It is a professor from Berkley who tutors from skype. He shows you how to work the problem and explains it to you. I like that he doesn't just tells you the answer and he's done. "Freelanceteach"

But! I would still like some more help. How should I look at my notes my professor gave me? All I have is one example and its mechanism. When I look at my test, the questions look like nothing we went over in class or my notes do not have enough detail for me to make a start. To be honest I don't even know where to start with some of the problems because I can barely understand the question.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 01:50:33 AM »
Jesus, I must have been distracted when I typed that.

I did find one source on youtube. It is a professor from Berkley who tutors from skype. He shows you how to work the problem and explains it to you. I like that he doesn't just tells you the answer and he's done. "Freelanceteach"

But! I would still like some more help. How should I look at my notes my professor gave me? All I have is one example and its mechanism. When I look at my test, the questions look like nothing we went over in class or my notes do not have enough detail for me to make a start. To be honest I don't even know where to start with some of the problems because I can barely understand the question.

Perhaps you should re-read your notes.
And it would help us help you if you would post one of the questions and your suggestions for a solution.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:48:06 AM »
Get a textbook.

I recommend "Reaction Mechanisms at a glance - Mark Moloney", it's inexpensive - especially second hand.

Mark Moloney actually has a website to accompany the book:

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/vrchemistry/rmaag2002/index.html

I had a quick play with it and the interface is not great, but that may also be my browser. The website alone will probably not be enough, so do some background reading first.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
I suggest you take a look at the example problems from my book.
http://www.curvedarrowpress.com/agocm/inside/sampler/sampler.html
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
I recommend the german-authored book: Organic Mechanisms: Reactions, Stereochemistry and Synthesis from Reinhard Brückner. He explains every mechanism in detail. It helped me alot in my university times.
Also very nice: Name Reactions and Reagents in Organic Synthesis from Mundy and Ellerd
and not to forget: Name Reactions: A Collection of Detailed Mechanisms and Synthetic Applications from Jie Jack Li.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »
some simple mechanisms are explained here also
http://chemtopper.com/alkene-reaction-mechanism.php

Offline OrgoloathesJess

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
Thank you so much ladies and gentlemen for your input and help. I will be sure to take a look at all of the books and websites. I also spoke with my professor and he gave me a link to a website he uses.
My attempt at question number one will be posted soon.
Thanks again.

Offline OrgoloathesJess

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Alkenes can undergo dihydroxylation to form vicinal diol. Shown below are the dihydroxylation reactions of two isomers. One of the isomers gives a single product while the other isomer gives a mixture of two products. Using the mechanism, explain why only one product is formed for the first isomer shown.

Offline obsidianavenger

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »
i think when you say steric strain you mean steric hindrance? strain is what happens when you force atoms into a ring and compress their bond angles... hindrance is when some groups physically block certain reactions from occurring. otherwise that looks good to me.

Offline OrgoloathesJess

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:31:50 AM »
Obs, I see what you are saying. Yes, you're correct, that is exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Sponsored Links