April 27, 2024, 01:39:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical reaction of calcium oxide and iron(iii)nitrate in ethanol  (Read 5046 times)

Offline WeeWee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Good day to you all.

i am currently doing research on synthesis of carbon nanotube from carbon dioxide.
i am facing problems in preparing the catalyst. Iron will be my catalyst which will be supported by calcium oxide or calcium carbonate (suntrate).

i would like to know that, what is the possible reaction between calcium oxide with iron(iii) nitrate in ethanol. is that Iron (iii) nitrate will turn into iron oxide if i dry the mixture at oven at 100C?

And , if i change the calcium oxide to calcium carbonate, is the same outcome will be achieved?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Rgrds,
Wee

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Chemical reaction of calcium oxide and iron(iii)nitrate in ethanol
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
First questions: are your educts dry enough? What kind of ironnitrate is used? Crystall water free? What about the alcohol? Calciumoxide forms Calciumhydroxide in present of water and this will react with iron-III to Iron-III-hydroxide. If you bake it Ironoxide will remain.

Offline WeeWee

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
The mixture will dry in an oven for 12 hours, so should be dry enough. This method was found in a journal, thus, no extra information given regarding to this reaction.

Thank you for your information.
If i bake it, iron oxide remain, is that means calcium hydroxide evaporated?

so is it possible calcium carbonate react with iron nitrate to form the final product-iron oxide?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:10:04 AM »
In this case it doesnt matter, if calciumoxide, calciumhydroxide or calciumcarbonate is used.  an efficinet baking process will releas carbondioxide and water. But I beleave 100 ° C is to less for baking.

Sponsored Links