April 19, 2024, 07:31:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: crazy ideas  (Read 8407 times)

chemicalLindsay

crazy ideas
« on: May 31, 2004, 03:37:11 AM »
I don't know , maybee oneday Ill try some of my crazy ideas but for know Im happy enough just asking about them.Okay know the normal hydrogen gas molecule contains 2 hydrogen atoms covalently bonded together right.I want to know if you could somehow (Ive allready figured out one way,I think) make hydrogen ions(H+) and keep them in some sort of inert jar or airtight case.Then try and explode the pure hydrogen ions in a chamber that only contains oxygen and see what would happen.Would water be produced? and If so will it be normal or will it have different properties due to the fact that the two hydrogen atoms in the molecule (if one formed) would not share any electrons as they wouldn't have any?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:crazy ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 12:45:13 PM »
The only way that would work would be if you had the hydrogen at an incredibly high temperature and formed a plasma.  The hydrogen ions would attempt to take the electrons from the walls of whatever container you are using, or it may even diffuse through the container.  (Since a hydrogen ion is simply a proton).  So unless you have an apparatus which can withstand the super high temperatures required for a hydrogen plasma, I don't believe that will work.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 01:27:13 AM »
a mix of beryllium and radium/americium depending on the strength of radiation needed emits neutron radiation, encase the mix in the form of a rod in paraffin wax and it will kick off protons, encase all but one end in lead, as in a neutron gun, and you will have a pretty damn powerful proton stream. I add that this is dangerous and should only be attempted if you know what you are doing  :)

Corvettaholic

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »
How would that work? I don't know the composition of paraffin wax, but if you slam it with neutrons, I thought it would only knock out other neutrons instead of protons? Is it something like fission at all?

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 01:38:42 PM »
I'm not too sure on that one, although I read it from a good source that it does indeed cause the emission of a proton beam  :)

Sponsored Links