March 28, 2024, 07:31:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: food colorants  (Read 3260 times)

Offline thom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
food colorants
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
Hello
Firstly i'd like to congratulate the founders of this forum, i really liked it.
Actually i'm working on an experimental thesis for Food Applied Chemistry, and for the moment i'm in a very difficult point. In practice, i mast find a method that allows me (with instruments of un basic laboratory) to make oil soluble food colorants using water soluble colorant (for example E120, E124, E129, etc) these colorants are soluble only in water and i need to make an uniform vegetable oil solution of them. I would be grateful if someone gives me any advice how to do that.
Looking forward for your answers.

(in the attach there is a pdf doc with the basic info about food colorant)

(there are no oil soluble colorant in the laboratory and the professor said that there is a method that allows to make lake dyes oil dispersible (aluminium lakes) using the water soluble colorants though a not complicated chemical process. I cant find any detailed material about this...)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:53:07 PM by thom »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: food colorants
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
If they are not soluble in oil, you won't dissolve them in oil, period.

Why don't you select oil soluble colorants for your experiment?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline thom

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
there are no oil soluble colorant in the laboratory and the professor said that there is a method that allows to make lake dyes oil dispersible (aluminium lakes) using the water soluble colorants though a not complicated chemical process. I cant find any detailed material about this...

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »
Just repeating the same sentence will not change the reality that water soluble food colourant will not dissolve in oil.

A dye dispersion and a dye solution are two quite different things.

Go ask your professor what it is he wants you to do. 

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »
It would be easier if you just give us a page of the molecules, rather than make us sift through the pdf.

But couldn't you find some way to derivativatize (spelling?) one of them with a non polar side chain? Like find an acid proton, treat with the weakest base you need, then do a williamson ether synthesis or something? Obviously then you'd have a whole new molecule with different toxicity. But since when did the FDA care about the toxicity of food colorants?

Also if it absolutely needs to be an oil that could be an issue too, since making it larger would make it more likely to be a solid.

I'm not sure why somebody else hasn't suggested this yet, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Sponsored Links