Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nicotine  (Read 4501 times)

Offline scriptwriter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nicotine
« on: December 30, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
Hello,

At the first place I would like to apologize for my English as I am not a native speaker. I am also totally not convinced whether this category is right or not. I think that my question is related to biological aspect as well so that's why I chose this one.

Actually, I am a script writer and I am working on movie project where the average guy wants to kill somebody. He doesn't have an access to any illegal items or products. That's why he is trying to prepare nicotine poison. From some source I read that you can actually prepare something like this in the home conditions. This forum should be also a decent place to verify if it is true. Actually to start the process, the protagonist needs two jars and tobacco. He puts the tobacco into the jar in proportion 3 / 4 of full jar. Then he fills it with a little warm water and close the jar. He waits till the water gets black colored. It should take several days. This is the first phase of this process. So, in the next step he opens the jar and filter everything to another jar. The rest of tobacco he squeezes and then throws it away. And now there are two ways to extract a nicotine. The first option is to leave the jar opened till water evaporates. It takes a lot time but according to my source, it should be more deadly, almost pure nicotine. In the final effect he gets dense, black syrup. The second option is to boil the water. When he is done, he prepares a coffee and puts 4-5 drops into it. The victim drinks it and dies in short period of time.

Now… I want to ensure if it is possible in real world. On the Internet I found many different opinions on the subject of nicotine. Somewhere I even read “Spilling an extremely high concentration of nicotine onto the skin can result in intoxication or even death since nicotine readily passes into the bloodstream from dermal contact”. Somewhere else “It's a very strong poison and the victim usually vomits after ingesting it. Because of this defensive reaction by the body, nicotine may not make a very effective poison to kill someone”.

It is also hard to say if the coffee is right choice, if it can kill the taste of nicotine? Or is there something else that could be better? What about the organism of victim? Will he vomit the poison or maybe will he die? What is the risk, why it could fail and where could it lead to? What about the poison, how long you can keep it before it loses toxic attributes? Is there maybe any other substance that I should look at?

I will be very thankful for an answer. You can always send private message if you prefer to. It should help me a lot with preparing my script! Thanks in advance,

Best regards

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Nicotine
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
Nicotine is toxic, and it is extractable into water.

That's it.  That's all you need to know.  The specifics aren't necessary.  You're a script writer.  With good cinematography, acting, film work and scene direction, you can generate verisimilitude -- a subtle falseness that makes people want to believe even more.  This happens in all movies and plays - people shut off their brains for a little while and just accept everything.  They may rapidly snap out of it, eventually snap out of it, or in rare cases, never snap out of it depending on how hard they think about it.  Some people never fall in, we call those people critics.  

Extra science facts will not help you.  If you put too many in it will be boring.  A little research to support your plan, and  fact fudged here and there is fine for a script.

Often a person will ask on these boards to find out the best, easiest, fastest, weirdest, most unique or least traceable way to kill, injure, daze, or mind control someone ... for literary purposes only.  And there's no printed rule on this page against that.  But really, do you think there should be comment after comment, fine tuning a criminal act ... even theoretically?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:07:36 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline scriptwriter

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
Thank you for answer but in this project we have to create the movie that could be possibly based on authentic facts/story. Actually the process could be an interesting additional element to this kind of film. Of course, we are not going to show whole process but only some parts and at this point we will need a good employees to make it look well. The more information we have, in the better way we can use them. Maybe it will inspire us to change something or at least improve, unless we will find out that what we have right now is actually good. But still I prefer to put more effort and create serious and intriguing atmosphere than just make a try with the current work.

Right now we are really confused as we have absolutely no idea what we should believe. The complexity of this project is really tough to explain but still, we will increase our chances to make a bigger production if we will be enough well informed. We want to take care of every single detail, it is not the only one forum that I visited for this purpose:P I made a calls to some institutions as well but in my country it is difficult to get decent information from them, sometimes it is better to try on thematic forum. In some aspects of movie, we already took advantage of some acquaintanceships but in another aspects we are lack of them:d We must try the luck in various sources. A lot of work indeed, as we will have to get a proper books in order to have some proof on paper. Still, we want to get a clue, so once again I would be incredible thankful for helping me with answering on previously posted questions.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
In general we can not support much more than a general discussion of topics like this.

If anyone wants to continue please private message the person who originally posted.

topic locked

Sponsored Links