April 28, 2024, 12:31:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cool question on my Final  (Read 2429 times)

Offline qw098

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
Cool question on my Final
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I had a pretty cool question on my Final Exam for Org III, and I was wondering if I answered the question correctly :).

We had an alpha,beta unsaturated ketone and we reacted that compound with D2O under basic conditions. We were asked to draw all the hydrogens that would be turned into deuterium.

I said this: I said the gamma carbon from the carbonyl would have a deuterium hydrogen attached to it and that's it and also the alpha carbon to the right of the carbonyl. I said the alpha hydrogen to the left would NOT be removed and replaced by deuterium because that would create too much ring strain!

Was my "rationale" thinking correct? :P I'll draw a picture below to clearly explain what I mean :P

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Cool question on my Final
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »
I'm not sure what ring strain has to do with it, but I agree with your selection of exchangeable protons.

You might want to look at the mechanism of keto-enol tautomerization...

Offline qw098

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »
Well if I take that hydrogen off that I said I can't take off because of ring strain... look at my corresponding enol drawn below:

I have an sp hybridized carbon in a six-membered ring!! Extreme ring strain!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
I think that position will exchange, but not via the strained intermediate you show. I can think of two mechanisms: alpha protonation of an extended enolate, followed by tautomerisation, ie via a beta-gamma unsaturated ketone; and a Baylis-Hillman-like mechanism (Hydration followed by dehydration). I prefer the latter mechanism, the intermediates look lower in energy.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links