April 20, 2024, 11:34:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: balancing an equation  (Read 8677 times)

EL2005

balancing an equation
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:55:02 PM »
I am having trouble with balancing this equation:

2AgNO3 + CaSO4 -->AgSO4 + Ca(NO3)2

I have tried multiplying the first and last reactant in the second equation by 2, but then it makes the other reactants on the other side uneven. I am really stuck. Please *delete me* Thank you

EL2005

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:balancing an equation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »
Try with Ag2SO4.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

EL2005

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:11:57 PM »
I thought you could only place a coefficient in front of a reactant.....is that really how it works?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:44:58 PM »
I thought you could only place a coefficient in front of a reactant..

In front of CORRECT reactant. In this reaction correct product formula is Ag2SO4.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
What Borek's trying to say is that AgSO4 is not the correct product.  That compound doesn't exist.  The correct formula is Ag2SO4.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 11:59:25 AM »
What Borek's trying to say

Do you mean I have failed?  :)

AgSO4 (..) That compound doesn't exist.

I have refrained myself from posting this information, as I am not 100% sure about it. There are known salts of Ag2+.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 02:46:22 PM »
Do you mean I have failed?  :)I have refrained myself from posting this information, as I am not 100% sure about it. There are known salts of Ag2+.

As a person who must train people on a daily basis where I work, I have had hammered into me the philosophy that people know very little and you must explain things out to them in the simplest terms possible.  (I had a co-worker reading over my shoulder looking very puzzled while reading your reply.   :D )

As for whether AgSO4 exists or not, in the context of this question it doesn't.   ;) ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Garneck

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 02:47:38 PM »
There are known salts of Ag2+.

which are unstable ;)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 03:41:22 PM »
As for whether AgSO4 exists or not, in the context of this question it doesn't.

I agree, but I believe we should refrain ourselves from stating things that are not correct when it is not necessary. So it is much better to say "product of this reaction is Ag2SO4" (which is unconditionally true) than to state "there is no AgSO4 salt " (which is - in in general - wrong).

The difference between your answer (no such compound) and my answer (different product) is subtle, but very important.

Imagine that you are a chemist (I believe you are working in IT, not as a chemist, if not, I apologize in advance) and one of the persons you have trained at work remembered that you told there is no such thing as AgSO4 - he will either hate you later as you have teached him wrong, or he will remember he had a retarted teacher, that even didn't know that Ag2+ exists.

General idea is not to add unnecessary confusion when it is not needed. Teaching chemistry requires many simplifications at first, but it doesn't mean we have to give wrong information.

Just my philosophical approach to the teaching process.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:47:00 PM by Borek »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »
I like Borek's philosphy.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links