April 26, 2024, 02:38:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Silicone Phosphate  (Read 3875 times)

Offline D4rr3n

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Silicone Phosphate
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
I was looking to purchase some Silicone Phosphate for an experiment however after searching I cannot find one single supplier or any info on it. Have I the correct name i.e. a compound which contains Si, P & O or does it not exist?

The second question I have is if I cannot purchase it then how can I make it, would a mixture of phosphorous and silica burned in air produce this?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Silicone Phosphate
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »
I'm not sure you have the correct name for the substance you want.  Silicone is a common name for a variety of silicon containing carbon polymers.  You won't get that by simply burning elemental silicon and phosphorous together.  You name may be jargon for a particular field of study.  Maybe if you're more specific about your experiment and the source you're using for the experiment, it would be clearer.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline D4rr3n

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »
I want to produce an amorphous mass of aluminium oxide plus silicon phosphide.

I believe if I heat aluminium powder with silicon phosphate I should end up with the desired material. The heat generated should help fuse the compounds togeather.

Offline AndersHoveland

• Mole Snacks: +7/-3
    • energericscribble (my other site is "energeticchemical")
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:59:18 AM »
I know not how one could make silicon phosphate, but one possible route to silicon sulfate that would not require high temperatures would be to react silicon tetrabromide with sulfur trioxide.

SiBr4 + (4)SO3 --> Si(SO4)2 + (2)SO2 + (2)Br2

Making SiBr4 does not necessarily require elemental silicon to begin with. See the other thread in this forum: http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=54206.0

Sponsored Links