March 28, 2024, 06:41:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anhydrous Al2Br6,AlBr3  (Read 4393 times)

Offline yoyoils

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
  • Monorail kitty!
Anhydrous Al2Br6,AlBr3
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:06:23 AM »
I was wondering if the drying agent could be CaCl2 or MgSO4 Instead because P2O5 is unavailable to me. I just wanna be sure because I don't have much Bromine for a while.

Anhydrous Aluminium Bromide
Put 6 g Al turnings in a 250 ml two-neck flask. Add dropwise from a sep funnel 13 ml Br2 at such a rate as to maintain a steady reaction. When the addition is complete distil the product directly into a receiving flask, the outlet of which is guarded with a phosphorous pentoxide drying tube. A second distillation over Al turnings may be necessary to obtain a colourless solid, mp 97.5°C, bp 255°C.

Just realized i cant see how this is even practical... ^
distilling AlBr3 is to do what exactly? heat it +265degrees C threw a glass drying tube packed with CaCl2 or MgSO4 from heating up a 250ml RBF? i just wanna make sure nothing can go wrong :x

Im thinking ill setup a liebig condenser and heat it to reflux with no running water to allow condensation within the condenser walls hopefully doesn't melt back down?

then let cool and take apart to scrape anhydrous AlBr3 from condenser?

alright now if that works where would i put the drying agent or would it be needed still? Any expert guidance or input, 2pennys pleeese :)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:51:05 AM by yoyoils »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Anhydrous Al2Br6,AlBr3
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
I was wondering if the drying agent could be CaCl2 or MgSO4 Instead because P2O5 is unavailable to me. I just wanna be sure because I don't have much Bromine for a while.

I don't think so.  A little search on Wikipedia led me to Google for this page:  http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/equipment/dryingagent.html (sigh: I recognize the domain  ::))  At any rate, phosphorous pentoxide is a much more powerful desiccant than any other mentioned there.  I can only guess that its important for this particular product -- more so because you're low on a reagent.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline yoyoils

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
  • Monorail kitty!
Re: Anhydrous Al2Br6,AlBr3
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
Thank you, and sorry it took me so long to reply. Been just studying. learning stays demanding lol

Perhaps raw red phosphorus from matchboxes and contact with chlorine gas would produce PCl3(l) and PCl5(l)?

I'm not trying to make meth don't worry lol ultimately a lot of people probably ask the same questions and I would trust they aren't meaning to make "meth" either. It's just AlCl3 and PCl3 are SOOOOOO useful when working stuff from the ground up from what I see.

However It was actually that domain that got me intrigued by chemistry 2 years ago took me a year to buy 2 books. I finished the first and I'm on the organic one now I'm not AS bad as I sound but better safe than sorry!

Calcium propionate -> propionic acid --PCl3--> propionyl chloride(or w/e else)

propionyl chloride --AlCl3+toulene--> 4-methylpropiophenone and onto more, but not meth. Since PCl3 would be a highly limited reagent I'm not for making money, this is all for learning and the experience along the way.

Sponsored Links