March 28, 2024, 06:40:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to go from B.A. (completed) into an M.S. or PhD?  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Ender

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
How to go from B.A. (completed) into an M.S. or PhD?
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
I have a B.A. in architecture that I regret finishing, once I realized I didnt want to be an architect I shouldve stopped. I want to get involved in chemistry and nanotech. Without going for a full bachelors which I can't afford what if any options are there? Is it possible to get a minor after already completing a bachelors and if I did that would I qualify for applying to masters or phd programs? Any ideas on any possible transitions?

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
Re: How to go from B.A. (completed) into an M.S. or PhD?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
I know some programs I've seen will accept student who don't have full degrees in chemistry, but in related fields (physics, bio ect.). I'm pretty sure most schools won't even look at you unless you've completed a certain amount of chemistry credits. Science graduate progran are different that others, in that you're accepted more or less be a reseacher for a faculty member at the school. Since you don't have any training as a chemist (correct me if I'm wrong), you don't really bring anything to the table.

IMO, I think you're going to have to go back to school to do what you want. Sorry for the bad new. Best of luck.

TOU
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Talk to the chemistry department at the school you are interested in getting into - in many cases, all you will really need to do is take some chemistry background courses. Depending on how much chemistry you've already had, you might be able to get into a program by taking 2 or 3 semesters of extra undergraduate work. If they will transfer all of your other credits, that might even add up to a second BS.

If you combine this with some undergraduate research, that will give you a step up trying to get a PhD advisor - at the very least you'll get to meet  (or at least learn about) all of the faculty and how they treat their grad students. If everything works out, you'll step straight into your undergraduate research advisor's graduate lab with part of your work already under your belt.

It does add an extra year or two to your graduate program, but if you really want to go into chemistry and don't need to go straight to grad school from undergrad to keep your student loans going, it might be worth it.

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
Doing well on the GRE Chemistry exam should qualify you to go into a graduate program in chemistry. But that test isn't easy.

Sponsored Links