April 28, 2024, 02:45:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ab initio, underGradThesis or what field should i pursue?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline sushmita

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ab initio, underGradThesis or what field should i pursue?
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
Hello,

I am planning to take physical chemistry as my specialization for the thesis. Most of the previous studies in this field are focused on ab initio and DFT methods. I wonder what specific biochemical reaction can I study, appropriate for these methods. And can anyone give me some overview about these methods because I'm still thinking if should i pursue physical chemistry or choose other fields like biochemistry or inorganic.?

I know, lots from this forum are experienced when it comes to undergraduate thesis proposals. I'm excited to know all of you. i really need some mentors. :)

Offline Quantumdotty

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: ab initio, underGradThesis or what field should i pursue?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
I don't want to go into describing ab initio method only that it is deriving energies from first principles to solve the time independent schrodinger equation. A great book to read is computational chemistry by lewars. I read it for my computational course and it helped a lot. Here's a link so you know what I looks like http://www.springer.com/chemistry/book/978-90-481-3860-9 see if they have it in your library

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
Re: ab initio, underGradThesis or what field should i pursue?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:06:18 AM »
Hello,

I am planning to take physical chemistry as my specialization for the thesis. Most of the previous studies in this field are focused on ab initio and DFT methods. I wonder what specific biochemical reaction can I study, appropriate for these methods. And can anyone give me some overview about these methods because I'm still thinking if should i pursue physical chemistry or choose other fields like biochemistry or inorganic.?

I know, lots from this forum are experienced when it comes to undergraduate thesis proposals. I'm excited to know all of you. i really need some mentors. :)

Wait a moment. The ab initio and DFT methods used in quantum chemistry are routinely used to obtain molecular structure and properties, but for studying reactions you need more: statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, scattering theory, molecular dynamics, reaction theory...
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Sponsored Links