March 28, 2024, 04:26:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Noble gas, etc.  (Read 5174 times)

Tom

Noble gas, etc.
« on: June 01, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »
1. Will the noble gas Xe, form compounds with flourine and oxygen?

2. A substance with a high positive reduction potential is a good oxidizing agent, I would believe this to be false?

3. Is it T or F the epathy of a reaction is determined by the summation of all bonds formed minus the summation of all bonds broken?

4. I hydrogen flourine a weak acid compared to other hydrogen halides because of the hydration energy associated with the flourine ion?

If anyone could help me with these I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tom

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:Noble gas, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 02:47:30 PM »
A couple of xenon fluorides are known; I don't think any oxides are, but I'm not sure about that.

Good reducing agents are those that like to give up their electrons easily, like lithium and sodium.  Good oxidizing agents are those that like to soak up electrons from other sources, like fluorine.  Does this give you an idea where your question lies?

Enthalpy of a reaction is the enthalpy of the products minus the enthalpy of the reactants.

Hydrofluoric acid is a weak acid in polar protic solvents (such as water) due mostly to the strong hydrogen bonding in HF.  Take a look at some of the posts by AWK on hydrogen bonding.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:Noble gas, etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 02:20:03 AM »
Xenon trioxide is known but cannot be obtained directly from elements.
I show its geometry from crystal below (Templeton DH, JACS 85, 817 (1963)
AWK

Sponsored Links