March 29, 2024, 02:28:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Canada VOC regulated product sheet confusing.  (Read 2601 times)

Offline VOCman

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Canada VOC regulated product sheet confusing.
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
I'm looking at MSDS product sheets for a line of products I'm thinking of using. They seem to have misleading information. I'm a finisher and these are wood finishing products, supposedly VOC free.

I suspect they are not VOC free as the MSDS says aliphatic hydrocarbons dearomatised <10%, which could be anything, really, but I suspect it's kerosene.

Is there a lab in Canada that can test the product for VOC content? How expensive would it be?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Canada VOC regulated product sheet confusing.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Well, for starters, begin with the definition of VOCs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatile_organic_compound#Definitions

The Wikipedia article has a link to further definitions, but Canada apparently defines VOC within a certain temperature range, and their effect on global air quality -- their tendency to produce photoactive smog, I'd guess.  In other words, Canada never promised, as the law was written, that you'd not get excess solvent in your room.

I'd suspect there are labs that would test a sample for you, but I'd suspect it would be expensive, and they likely work under contract.  That is, they'd like to test dozens of samples, for a manufacturer, or government agency, not for someone who walks off the street.  You could even call the manufacturer in person, they might be willing to tell you exactly what's in their preparation.  Usually such things are trade secrets, but if they're not suspicious, there may be no harm in telling you the formulation, you're unlikely to replicate it, in sufficient volume, at low enough cost, to hurt their business.

I think you may be a little naive 'tho.  You want to brush on a fluid mixture that will dry to a polymerized solid finish.  That can only be done with an organic solvent.  I suppose technically pure linseed oil does react with oxygen to dry to a polymerized solid.  But there's no other chemical that does this.  All paints and varnishes contain some volatile organic solvents.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:51:35 AM »
You need to define the VOC criteria.  I would begin a search on indoor air quality, assuming it is for a house.

Intertek labs can do various VOC testing.  I am not familiar with Canada regulation but California has test methods for VOC indoor air quality.

I have had some of our product tested for VOC for Mercedes automotive.  The lab heat the sample in a chamber and collects the gas.  The gas is analyzed using GC.  The report will tell you total VOC content, as well as individual component %.

Many regulations have strict guidelines regarding formaldehyde.

I expect testing to be less <$1000

Offline VOCman

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks. I was thinking mass spectrometer but I dunno if that's just on TV shows or if you can find them and hire them for one single test for less than say $250.

There are multitudes of polymerizing oils out there that work on their own, none that react quickly, including linseed oil.

There are 0 VOC solvents out there such as biodiesel and silicone based solvents. I purchased a gallon of cyclomethacone (very expensive) to experiment with and you would think it was water if it wasen't for the label. Who knows how safe it is but they use in is cosmetics so I'm giving it a shot with some homemade finish.

Sponsored Links