April 27, 2024, 10:01:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Regarding naming oxyacids/anions  (Read 4359 times)

Samo

Regarding naming oxyacids/anions
« on: October 23, 2005, 02:08:58 PM »
I'm just trying to understand this. Basically, I've tried to work out a formula to remember for class, so I want you guys to tell me if it's right.

Alright, say you have Sulfate, if it is "3 above" a full valance (as it is sitting 2 electrons short of a full valence) then the formula for Persulfuric Acid is SO5 with a -2 charge, correct?

Now, if you had something like Chlorine, which is sitting 1 electron short of a full valence, instead of 2 like Sulfate, and it was to be "3 above" a full valence, like Sulfate, then the formula for Perchloric Acid would be CLO4 with a -1 charge, correct?

The same could be said for "matching" as in, getting the number of electrons needed to fill the valence, correct? For example...

Sulfur needs 2 electrons to fill it's valence, so to get Hyposulfurous Acid it would be SO2 with a -2 charge right?

And if Chlorine wanted to be HypoChlorous Acid, it would be ClO1 with a -1 charge right? As it needs only 1 more electron to fill it's valence, and become Hypochlorous?

And then of course Ate falls below Hypo Ate, then ite, then Hypo Ite, as well as Per Ic, followed by Ic, then ous, then hypo-ous.

Just tell me if I'm right in my thinking of a way to remember how to name things. I was confused with naming, and the number of oxygens you need in relation to how many electrons an atom needs to fill its valence.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Regarding naming oxyacids/anions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:27:01 AM »
remember that since u're not talking about ions, include the H+ to make it a compound.

since that naming system is quite outdated, i think its better to memorise the few common compound names and formula
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links