April 25, 2024, 10:48:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: There is a REASON you don't attempt synthesis of phosphorus halides indoors  (Read 5452 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
I just discovered why it really isn't a good idea to attempt the synthesis of phosphorus halides in one's house, least of all in a 2x3 meter bathroom.

I just attempted to produce PI5 by heating dry iodine and red phosphorus together in a test tube, resulting in quite a lot of eggy smelling fumes, and just a little of what I believe to be PI5.

That being fine, I go into the tiny bathroom to clear up the test tube, and completely fogetting, first added a ml. or so of water, to hydrolyse residual PI3/PI5 that may have been left in there, then, for some reason, stupidly decided to clean the tube out using 45% peroxide.

It turned out, that not all the P and I2 had reacted, and what was left, was a test tube full of bloody strong hydriodic acid.

I started to pour the H2O2 into the test tube, whilst holding it, what do you know it, it started to bubble slightly, realising what was imminent, I put it down in the washbasin, and stepped back, just in time for it to boil, and start spewing vast quantities of violet I2 vapor EVERYWHERE.

After about 5 minutes I decided to chance checking out the mess, and found that the entire sink had aqquired a solid crust of I2, along with orange-red stains over more or less all the front wall the sink is attatched to ;D

Here comes the worst part of it, guess what I decided to clean it with? thats right, I thought hmm, ammonia might do the trick, thinking it would form ammonium iodide, decolorise the stains and save me from getting skinned alive by my folks, it did decolorise, but I realised again, what happens when you mix iodine and NH3, turned on the tap, and got the hell out of there.

I am just hoping at the moment, that as the washbasin hasn't detonated yet, it isn't going to ;D

I am so, SO glad now, that I did a test run, on 20g first, instead of attempting a 100g batch!

And the moral of this tale of forgetfulness and bloodyminded further forgetfulness is?

Use white phosphorus, it reacts better with halogens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:00:49 AM by limpet chicken »
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
I can't believe this hasn't gotten any replies.  This is definitely my favorite chemistry story starting..

Now.

:hearye:

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Mixing hydrogen peroxide with any kind of phosphine will give a very exothermic reaction as it forms the phosphine oxide.  I've made that mistake in that lab a couple of times.  Fortunately it was on milligram scale and not 20 g!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
this is the funniest chemistry post i ever read here..

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Phosphines, movies? PI5 is a phosphorus halide, not a phosphine, I don't think I would want to try the same reaction producing phosphine oxides, well, I certainly wouldn't want to be close while I did it ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links