March 28, 2024, 05:44:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Industrial Chemistry  (Read 8724 times)

Offline Hunt

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +25/-7
Industrial Chemistry
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
For those of you who are involved in the industry , what is the most important field in chemistry that is relevant to the industry ? Or is the importance a function of the chemist's job as for instance in synthesis , analysis , etc. ? What if I decided to go for a Masters or PhD. in physical chemistry ? Can I still be involved in the industry or will my job be strictly in R&D / academics ?

I've been searching on the internet and on these forums ofcourse for jobs for p-chemists , but it seems most of the industrial work involves analytical and organic chemists.

Offline Evilservo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Industrial Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
Go For Analytical Chemistry

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »
most of the industrial work involves analytical and organic chemists.

yup.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
The owner of a horse racing track decided that he wanted to improve the sport of horse racing, and hired three chemists to work on the problem. After a month, they came back with their suggestions.

The first was an analytical chemist, who said, "A clean race is a good race. Right now, it is too easy to drug the horses and fix the results of the race. I have developed a new testing technique which only requires a swab of saliva from the horse's mouth to analyze for the presence of 2500 known performance enhancing and performance reducing drugs. By utilizing this technology, you will be able to ensure a much cleaner race!" The owner was very pleased, paid the analytical chemist for his work, and made arrangements to institute the new testing paradigm.

The second was an organic chemist, who had spent his time studying the resilience of track surfaces and their effect on the hooves of the horses. He said, "The current track surfaces are simply too hard on the horse's hooves. Their rigidity causing microscopic fractures in the hoof, which, during the course of long races, gradually wears down the performance of the animal, making them far slower at the end of the race than they should be. I have developed a new composite material which will have the rigidity required to enable the animals to get good purchase and traction, but which will have the perfect momentary give on impact to prevent damage to the horse's hooves. With the surface, the animals will retain much more of their speed to the end of the race." The owner was very pleased with the suggestion, paid the organic chemist for his work, and made arrangements to have his track resurfaced.

The third was a physical chemist, who said "I have discovered what it would require to make your racetrack the fastest in the world. But first, imagine if you will a spherical racehorse..."

Sponsored Links