March 28, 2024, 12:01:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2012 edition]  (Read 31317 times)

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: Anyone heard back from schools yet? [2012 edition]
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »
I was accepted at MIT today.
Not surprised, Grats!

What schools did you apply to?
[/quote]

Congrats Jorriss and scipinion on your acceptances. Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

I got accepted to U of Kansas, U of Georgia at Athens, and Colorado State U---the only three schools I applied to. So I'm happy. I'm going for a PhD in Organic (total synth, and synth methods).
Congrats!

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »
I was accepted at MIT today.

What schools did you apply to?

So jealous... What field are you interested in and who do you think you'll work for?

Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, UCSB and USC. I applied a bit late but before the deadlines for each school. It's been hard juggling apps and work, but I'm hope full I'll get into at least one of em. I think the only thing really working against me is the fact that I've been out of school for more than a year, though I did take a math course this past summer. I need to get out of industry, it's killing me.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline zs3889

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »

So jealous... What field are you interested in and who do you think you'll work for?

Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, UCSB and USC. I applied a bit late but before the deadlines for each school. It's been hard juggling apps and work, but I'm hope full I'll get into at least one of em. I think the only thing really working against me is the fact that I've been out of school for more than a year, though I did take a math course this past summer. I need to get out of industry, it's killing me.

what is wrong with the industry? why do you think it is killing you? im doing my 4th year undergad and im just curious.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »
It's personal preference really. I've held two different jobs since graduating and neither of them have really given me the same level of satisfaction as my undergrad. Don't get too worried if you're going into industry.

You can PM me if you really wanna know more.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline nesst1

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:43 PM »
Hello! I applied to Wayne State's and Notre Dame's chemistry programs. I also applied to biology and biochemistry and molecular biology programs at Wayne State, UIC, UChicago and Loyola U Chicago. I graduated with a 3.44, but a high 3.5 in my chemistry and biology courses. I have a year and a half of successful research experience, but no publications and it isn't related to what I plan to study in grad school. I also have work experience, as a lab assistant for the chemistry dept. and as a supplemental instruction leader for an introductory chemistry course for a year.

I haven't heard back from any schools yet  :-\ but I'm hoping to get accepted soon! I wrote a short summary of my credentials, there's other details I didn't include but what are your opinions? Are there any schools you haven't heard back from yet?

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
Hello! I applied to Wayne State's and Notre Dame's chemistry programs. I also applied to biology and biochemistry and molecular biology programs at Wayne State, UIC, UChicago and Loyola U Chicago. I graduated with a 3.44, but a high 3.5 in my chemistry and biology courses. I have a year and a half of successful research experience, but no publications and it isn't related to what I plan to study in grad school. I also have work experience, as a lab assistant for the chemistry dept. and as a supplemental instruction leader for an introductory chemistry course for a year.

I haven't heard back from any schools yet  :-\ but I'm hoping to get accepted soon! I wrote a short summary of my credentials, there's other details I didn't include but what are your opinions? Are there any schools you haven't heard back from yet?
I imagine you have a good shot at Wayne State, Loyola U Chicago or Notre Dame and a shot at the other ones. I haven't heard back from MIT or Northwestern yet myself.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Got into Johns Hopkins today!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 04:51:59 AM »
Congrats!

I just hope you will not forget about CF once you will start to study...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from schools?

I've only heard back from one of the 5 I applied to. I was accepted to my top choice, so I'm not too concerned about the outcome, I just think it's odd that they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Some of my friends haven't heard back from any of their schools yet.

Is anyone else really excited? It really started hitting me lately. It might be different for me since I've been out of school for a bit, and I've been languishing away at my job.

Offline HelpWithWriting

• Very New Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
I know this is off topic, but you all seem very open, helpful and intelligent. I work in a writing center and have a student that needs help with a statement of research training. Unfortunately, I am not so familiar with that (I am much more familiar with SoP, Motivation Letters, etc.). I was wondering if you guys had ever written one and if you would mind sharing them with me so that I can better understand the document and maybe help this student out. My email is bilwrite@bilkent.edu.tr

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
Well, it was a good run. Got in everywhere but MIT. I'll be visiting Northwestern, caltech and I already visited U. of Chicago, which was great.

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Still a very impressive list. I'd trade any of my acceptances for your  ;D

Offline nesst1

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:02 PM »
I'm going to Wayne State in the fall! Time to study for the proficiency exams...

Sponsored Links