April 25, 2024, 06:55:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Magnetic Water?  (Read 10067 times)

Offline Ecofuturist

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Magnetic Water?
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »
Hello chemical forums i am a new member and have indoctrinated myself with the rules of this forum, so hopefully I don't break any.
Okay
The problem: I am unfamiliar with and need to gain knowledge of the magnetic properties of water. If water is not "magnetic enough" is there something, harmless of course that could be added to a body of water which would produce a "more magnetically effectable" body of liquid.
The Optimistic Goal: To create and use a device or system of devices which will hopefully have the capability to move a copious amount of water "out of the way" on "will"or activation of the system.
Imagine a swimming pool sized container of water with two parallel lines of pillars running down the length of the container. These pillars would contain generators or apparatus that would generate a magnetic field or static electricity field with enough strength to effectively separate the water allowing a waterless and now walkable corridor between the pillars. In essence imagine the tale of moses parting the water for his people. I want to figure a way to simulate this effect through science. I hope this is enough information for you chemistry buffs to go on. If you need me to be more specific or have alternate methods to move the water i am a very open person and am simply looking to make it work hopefully i can bring this to a TED convention or World Fair of some sorts. :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Magnetic Water?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Oh.  You want a ferrofluid.  They're pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid

Going to be a bit expensive at the scale you're describing 'tho.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Ecofuturist

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
Ahh yes i am mildly familiar with ferrofluids, I was really hoping to take advantage of water though as seen in a video like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhWQ-r1LYXY

and not to resort to using a fluid with such obvious magnetic properties, basically is whats done with the ferrofluids possible with good ol h2o?

Offline Ecofuturist

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
I suppose listening to that video i sugjested to you with the volume on would have helped, so another question if water can be attracted from its positive end to a source, could a source push water away? like a reverse or negative static field

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »
I don't think you will be able to push water away with a electric field.
In the video, the electric field source generates a gradient electric field (the farther away, the weaker the field gets). The molecules align according to the electric field (whether it is positive or negative) and because of the gradient, they are attracted to the electric field along the higher gradient.

It would be neat to see a larger amount of water being attracted to some source.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:23 AM »
This would be a cool zero-g experiment - applying a static electrical field to a floating bubble of water...

Offline binbon249

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:48 AM »
now, I know water have magnetic, thanks all  :)

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
water is diamagnetic as you can see in my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnggp7cUp4

and I also tried it with bismuth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0alFgBsavFc

Sponsored Links