April 27, 2024, 12:35:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hope I am in the right place :)  (Read 9604 times)

Offline GA_Beach_Bum

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hope I am in the right place :)
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
Hi all.  I have a quick question for you, if I may.  I am, in no way, involved in chemistry.   I unashamedly admit that I have no knowledge of this field.  This is why I am here.

I am the wife of a disabled Vietnam-era vet.  I am researching how some toxins may have affected his health. 

I was just wondering if, from time to time, I could ask questions here to find out about specific chemicals, agents, etc.  Like for instance, I was wondering about chlordane.   I saw chlordane as a toxic agent, and then found alpha chlordane at one of the bases he was stationed at.  The type of question I might ask would be if the two are one and the same. 

Is this OK to ask these types of questions here?  If so, would it be better if I asked the questions in a different area?   Am I totally off base, and need a different type of professional to answer these questions?

Thanks so much in advance.  :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Hope I am in the right place :)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Sure, we'd welcome questions on this sort of topic.  We'd like it more if you started with common online sources first.  For example, Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordane#Health_effects  Also try to see if various veterans associations have good resources for you.  In this case, the difference between alpha and beta chlordane is that beta is more  bioactive
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links