April 29, 2024, 07:36:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to Turn Off Caffeine or Theobromine  (Read 5128 times)

Offline applewine

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to Turn Off Caffeine or Theobromine
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »
Hi,

I am not a chemist at all, but would like to ask a chemical biologist a question.

I had the curious question of wondering if there could be any practical way to counter the effects of caffeine or theobromine in a fairly direct way.

I would call this an antidote for the effects, but not for the purpose of resolving toxicity. The application I have in mind is the ability to allow somebody to drink coffee or eat dark chocolate in the afternoon or night and then to be able to turn it off so they do not suffer from insomnia due to the lasting effects.

Can any chemical biologist think if there would be any possible way to do this?

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to Turn Off Caffeine or Theobromine
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
What you're looking for is a receptor antagonist for these two molecules.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptor_antagonist  I haven't heard of one for caffeine and theobromine.  I'm thinking its not very likely they manufacture a medicine to block something legal that a person can choose not to consume, there are always side effects with any medicine.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Re: How to Turn Off Caffeine or Theobromine
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
Decaffeinated and caffeine-free alternatives already exist. What you are suggesting would require a a selective counter drug to reverse the action of caffeinated products. Assuming you found such a drug and it was selective and safe, in it's own right, the fact you'd have to take this compound each time you consume caffeinated products means an increased chance of cross interacting with another medication(s) the person is taking.

I think it's too much effort (design, development, etc.) and risk involved for such a trivial situation.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Sponsored Links