March 29, 2024, 11:20:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How is hydrogen conbined with vegetable oil  (Read 9519 times)

trou

How is hydrogen conbined with vegetable oil
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:53:15 PM »
to make Hydrogenated veg oil.?Its done to give the oil longer self life ,also to get a higher cooking temp...it just so happens to be very bad for humans ...i use this stuff as fuel in my diesel pickup..50.000. miles sofar..also my boat..costs me 2 cents per Gallon..SO my question is this.my supply of oil is not Hydronated but i have found a supply of hydrogenated lately and to test it put some in a frypan...its white..not clear likethe oil normaly use..heat it to cooking temp..lots of bubbles are given off..staring at low temp ..lots of bubbles..within minutes theoil goes clear..and stayz clear when cooled to room temp..these bubbles make NO sound as does water in oil...why the color change, from WHITE TO CLEAR.....would love your imput..TROU

trou

Re:How is hydrogen conbined with vegetable oil
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 01:22:23 PM »
What would bubbling Oxogen through this oil do??may be some heat...some water..some lose electrons..??vegetable oil is a poor conductor..do i have a crude feul cell here..TROU

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »
Water would definitely give the effect of cloudy looking oil since they two liquids don't mix, however you would be able to hear the water popping as it boiled out on the stove.  It sounds to me more like there were some air bubbles in the oil.  If you take some regular oil and shake it up you will probably get a similar effect.

One thing about using non-hydrogenated (unsaturated) oils is that they can go rancid over time.  I don't know all the details of using commercial vegetable oils as fuels and lubricants in combustion engines, but I suppose this might be a factor in their utility.  I think that the most common way that unsaturated oil go bad is through oxidation of the alkenes they contain.  This probably wouldn't give any observable difference other than a nasty odor.

trou

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:50:05 PM »
thanx for the reply...no..rancid makes no differance as fuel..I KNOW ITS NOT WATER..theres no spitting and popping..it looks like some kind of ..off gassing..not violent and at low temp..below 112F..but not much..and why the colour change from white to clear after heated....what has changed..and by white i mean white not cloudy...IF any bodys interested in the veggy oil thing.....go to FRYBRID.COM..its got a great FORUM

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 05:38:32 PM »
I'd put a match/lighter over the boiling oil and see what happens to the flame. That's one rudementary test method. If it does turn out to be hydrogen (I don't know why it would be though) your flame would start turning an orange or red color (atleast that happens during hydrolsis).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:40:41 PM »
Putting a flame above boiling oil is a horrible idea!
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 05:42:39 PM »
Good point.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 05:53:01 PM »
to make Hydrogenated veg oil.?Its done to give the oil longer self life ,also to get a higher cooking temp...it just so happens to be very bad for humans

You can hydrogenate oil by reacting with H2 and platinum or nickel catlayst (maybe suspended on carbon).

trans- fatty acids are said to be "bad" for you while cis- fatty acids or "good", mainly because trans- acids are not naturally occurring and are hard for the body to process.

Generally the more the oil is hydrogenated the more "solid" it becomes. Most of the fats that I have seen that start off white go clear when they are heated but then re-solidify to a white colour.

So is your hydrogenated oil a liquid or a solid?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:54:52 PM »
It might be a mixture of two oils.  Sometimes they won't mix very well at room temperature and so they look like an emulsion, but if you heat them up then they become miscible.  Did you try cooling the mixture back to room temp after you heated it to see if it turned white again?  This might not work if you heated the oil past the smoke point.  Maybe just heat to the point that it's no longer white and then cool it again.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »
It might be a mixture of two oils.

good point :)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links