April 18, 2024, 05:25:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: QM: Initial and Final Energy State Question  (Read 3716 times)

mt2568

QM: Initial and Final Energy State Question
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:57:25 PM »
Hey all -

This problem has stumped me for a while so I was wondering if anyone could help out...here's the problem and what I've done so far...

A H atom emits a photon with a frequency of 6.17x10^14 Hz, calculate the energy difference in J between the initial and final state of the H atom.

Now I know the following equations should be involved...
E=-R(z^2/n^2)
E=hv

I first converted the Hz given into joules --> 4.09x10^29 J (this is the final energy I believe?) but i've become stuck because I don't understand how I can find the initial energy with the amount of information I have been given.  Thanks for your time and help guys.

cheers,
matt

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:QM: Initial and Final Energy State Question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 03:03:23 PM »
I first converted the Hz given into joules --> 4.09x10^29 J

Way too much, unless it was 10-29. Not that I have checked if it will be correct value, just the order of magnitude will not rise a brow.

but i've become stuck because I don't understand how I can find the initial energy with the amount of information I have been given.  Thanks for your time and help guys.

You don't need initial nor final energy, just the difference. And you have just calculated it (although the result is wrong :) )
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links