April 28, 2024, 10:40:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is redox balancing necessary?  (Read 3645 times)

y0ter

Is redox balancing necessary?
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
I have a question regarding an equation that I came across in my textbook.

H4+ + SO42- + 2NaI ---> 2Na+ + I2 + SO2 + > 2H2O

Clearly the above is balanced; however, I am having difficulty understanding  the presence of 4 protons when there is only one sulfate ion available.  The protons are availble in the solution due to the dissociation of Sulfuric acid...would this not only contribute 2 protons to the solution?

Also, when balancing redox equations is it necessary to balance the transferred electrons and apply the coefficients first?  or is it possible to balance the equation as a whole without accounting for the electrons?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Is redox balancing necessary?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
I have a question regarding an equation that I came across in my textbook.

H4+ + SO42- + 2NaI ---> 2Na+ + I2 + SO2 + > 2H2O

Clearly the above is balanced; however, I am having difficulty understanding  the presence of 4 protons when there is only one sulfate ion available.

That's just net ionic equation. Compare it with equivalent form:

2H2SO4 + 2NaI -> Na2SO4 + I2 + SO2 + 2H2O

Also, when balancing redox equations is it necessary to balance the transferred electrons and apply the coefficients first?  or is it possible to balance the equation as a whole without accounting for the electrons?

Quite often it is enough to balance the equation without looking at the electron transfer. But you must balance not only mass (same number of atoms on both sides of the equation) but also a charge (note that in your equation charge on both sides of equation is -2 - so it is balanced).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

y0ter

Re:Is redox balancing necessary?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:47:14 PM »
Ah, now it makes sense.  Thank you.

Sponsored Links