March 29, 2024, 11:44:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tested Positive Cocaine Mouth Swab but I have not used in 2yr  (Read 8939 times)

Offline mu5tang71

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tested Positive Cocaine Mouth Swab but I have not used in 2yr
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »
I was recently been notified I had come up positive for cocaine in a mouth swab test. I have not come in contact with the drug, touched the drug, or even seen the drug in 2yrs. that is why I am writing. I am assuming this is a preliminary and was told that is was to be tested a 2nd time. Would that be a GS/MS Test? I must state that I was an active user of cocaine and was in prison for sales 2yrs ago. But I have NOT used anything for 2yrs.. So my background don't speak well for me.

Now my integrity of my sobriety is now in jeopardy seen through my NA/AA peers. But there is also parole. But my sobriety means the most to me. There was only 1 medication I took the night before I was tested and that was Legatrin PM over the counter leg cramp pain reliever and sleep aid. I have read that no medication can come up positive but, I SWEAR TO GOD as my witness...That I NEVER DID ANY COCAINE...

Is it possible that this med triggered the positive for cocaine and will the confirmatory test prove this. Should I be concerned? I have been beating my self up with this..

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Re: Tested Positive Cocaine Mouth Swab but I have not used in 2yr
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:37 AM »
If this thread is allowed...

Have you used any form of prescribed eye drops or been administered any by an ophthalmologist sometime prior to the test? Use of cocaine as a local anesthetic may explain it. If so see here.

Have you had any tea sometime prior to the test? Coca leaf tea contains very low amounts of cocaine and may account for the supposed false positive. Coca tea is legal in some places, including US, due to it's very minute alkaloidal content and cocaine's low oral bioavailability. See here, for starters.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
Re: Tested Positive Cocaine Mouth Swab but I have not used in 2yr
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
When you are retested, disclose any medications you took before the test, the technician should be able to determine if they would have interfered with your results.

Depending on exactly which testing method was used, it is possible for drug tests to throw up false positives in a not-insignificant number of cases.  You might have gotten caught by a false positive. 

A more in-depth test should be able to confirm your story.  Good luck, and congrats on two years of sobriety.

Sponsored Links