April 19, 2024, 01:41:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Predicting which way the reaction will go-partial equilibrium  (Read 1838 times)

Offline skyblue

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Predicting which way the reaction will go-partial equilibrium
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:41:34 PM »
Hi,

You are given this reaction CaCO3 (s)=CaO (s)+CO2 (g)

Compare the equilibrium partial pressure of CO2 (g) with the atmospheric partial pressure of CO2 equal to 10^-3.5 atmospheres. Which way will the reaction go?

Okay...I tried searching for an equation to answer this question and came up with deltaG=-RTlnKp

I don't remember this equation from gen chem, but that was the only equation that fit.

So I calculated the gibbs energy and got 130.9 kj/mol and solved for Kp and got 1.194*10^-23.

So now I just compare that Kp with the 10^-3.5 atms? So if it is smaller than the atmospheric pressure, which way does it go? Left?

Offline Polytriazole

• Mole Snacks: +8/-1
Re: Predicting which way the reaction will go-partial equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
To start, your equation has only gotten you part of the way there, but you're on the right track.  Do a unit analysis for the values in the equation you used to see why.  What units is Kp in?  Are these the same units as for the partial pressure of CO2?

Take another look at the source you got this equation from.  Are there example problems near it that can take you further in the problem? 

As for getting a final answer, once you've gotten your partial pressure of CO2, look up Le Chatelier's principle and see if that gives you any ideas.

Sponsored Links