March 28, 2024, 08:51:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it difficult to find a job as a chemist, or even as an intern?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline oleg

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
It seems even if you find a job the salary is very low, similar to blue collar work.  I'm starting to regret my choice for choosing chemistry as a major as i'm almost finished a 2 year degree. Education vs Salary seems very poor, lots of work for little pay. From looking at job listings I see more companies are looking for chemical engineers than just chemists and it makes me regret spending time working for the degree. I need some insight from chemists; specifically, those that have worked in the field, is it worth continuing for a B.S. , or further? I'm starting to lose confidence.

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Is it difficult to find a job as a chemist, or even as an intern?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:07:47 AM »
With chemistry you can go into highly paid work like management consultancy, banking etc.

In general, scientists in general are not paid excessively, and job opportunities in chemistry are pretty poor at the moment. We don't just do it for the money. If excessive salary is your goal, working as a scientist is not for you - but the degree does open doors to a lot of non-scientific, overpaid jobs so it might be worth finishing if you think you'll do it well.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »
I disagree that current market for chemists is bad. I just graduated last year with a BS in chem, and I have to say that the number of jobs I've found have been orders of magnitude higher than my friends with non-science degrees. My current job also pays very well, which hasn't been uncommon amoungst my fellow chem grads.

College degrees are good stepping stones, especially science ones. After your first job you'll be judged on your work experience more than your degree. Unless you really hate it, I'd stick with it.

Plus you don't want to be an engineer, those people suck  :P.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Offline sschoe2

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
It is difficult to find a decent job even with a graduate degree. I have an MS and frankly regret going into chemistry at all. I haven't had benefits since I graduated 5 years ago as most employers are now hiring their science staff as permatemps via temp agencies. Companies pay their chemists lower than almost any other professional function (even HR) and lower than many blue collar functions.

You can expect $15 to $20 per hour without benefits. You can do better with a 2 year AA in something like sonography or radiology tech. There is also very little room for advancement. I haven't seen a raise ever and I have to decline offers for less than what I am currently earning ($20 per hour). 

My advice is switch to engineering, business, go to med, pharm, dental, or other professional school. I would never let anyone in my family study science ever again. I am leaning towards going back to college for IT or accounting next year. F Chemistry.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
I have a PhD and earn about the same as a PDRA in the UK (£30K pa; $45K pa). I love my job and live comfortably.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Sepelio

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • Positively Nucleophilic
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
I graduated several months ago and have had no luck at all getting a job. The jobs are there, the problem is there about about 100 other people applying for each position.

As to internships, they are all for current students. I've tried contacting businesses directly but no luck on that front either.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30

Sponsored Links