April 27, 2024, 10:04:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: two questn abt aluminium solubility n reactn balancing  (Read 2407 times)

Offline n30031986

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
two questn abt aluminium solubility n reactn balancing
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
1.Metallic aluminium powder is soluble in which solvent as it is insoluble in water?

2.when metallic aluminium reacts with hydrochloric acid,nascent hydrogen generated react with arsenic impurities to form arsine but i cant balane this reaction.

Al + HCl + As2O3   =   AlCl3 + AsH3   + H2O

I tried this way but not getting water,instead getting oxygen.

4Al + 12HCl + 2As2O3  = 4AlCl3 +  4AsH3 + 3O2

hydrogen is not balancing properly,

where I am wrong or this reaction is not possible???

Offline n30031986

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: two questn abt aluminium solubility n reactn balancing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
forgotten to mention that that solvent must be inert not chemically reactive atl east in above reaction so that i can use it in this above reaction

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: two questn abt aluminium solubility n reactn balancing
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
No, that's not written correctly.  Aluminum metal doesn't react with hydrochloric acid (a solution of hydrogen chloride gas in water) to generate AlCl3 and water, because AlCl3 is unstable in water, and reacts further.  Besides, you can't just pick random reactions to try to balance.  You have to have some knowledge of some of the products.  Generally experimentally, although there are some hints from solubility rules, electronegative, and more complicated methods.

And no, I doubt there is an inert liquid solvent for most metals.  Well, maybe mercury, or gallium.  Bu the result is more alloy than solution.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links