April 16, 2024, 08:51:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: request for transition metal catalyst info.  (Read 3904 times)

Offline dgypsyme

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
request for transition metal catalyst info.
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »
Hi everyone...

I'm looking for some direction either papers to read or any experience anyone has had with transition metal catalysts. I am looking to start researching and I want to gather as much knowledge and information as possible before starting anything.

Ideally hydrodesulphurization but anything would be appreciated.

info about me. I am a 2.5 year chem and geology major.

Thanks so much!!

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: request for transition metal catalyst info.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
Have you done any searching at all on this topic? Like, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodesulfurization?

Offline dgypsyme

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »
Have you done any searching at all on this topic? Like, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodesulfurization?

I have done quite a lot, thank you!

I'm not looking for general information; but more along the lines of what people may have been trying in general.

I'm past the starting point and looking for real experiences that I can start to think about before I do anything else. Or things that aren't mentioned in academic articles and informational sources that any of the participants of this site think may help me expand my knowledge at all!

Thank you for responding, have a lovely day/night!!!

Offline Yakimikku

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
Hello!

If you want to get up to date with any type of research, it's best to start reading review articles. They overview what people have been trying. I don't know anything about hydrodesulfurization (HDS), but I'd recommend looking for review articles on the subject. You might have to be more specific (ie. review of HDS by <enter catalyst type>). I couldn't find anything good on a quick look, but here might be something to start with:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920586104004705

Seems that it's an article comparing the kinetics of a variety of HDS catalysts.

If you are looking to get more into transition metal catalysis in general, I recommend finding a good book and start reading about it. I wish I had a good book to recommend, but I don't at this time. "Transition metal catalysis" is a really broad term--it contains everything from small molecule activation, olefin metathesis, hydrogenations, bond coupling reactions, etc. so it's really hard to sum things up.

Well, I hope something I said helps you out! If there's anything about the conceptual aspects of transition metals, catalysis, etc. that you are confused about, please ask away--I hope someone else or myself can give you an answer!

Offline dgypsyme

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Thanks so much!

I appreciate your reply and suggestions!

I'll start searching and reading more articles!

Sponsored Links