April 29, 2024, 03:49:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Watch what you put on your skin - mercury cream!  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Watch what you put on your skin - mercury cream!
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6102a3.htm?s_cid=mm6102a3_e

Mercury exposure has been reported among users of skin-lightening creams produced outside the United States

In this report, unlabeled skin-lightening creams produced in Mexico were the source of mercury exposure for users and nonusers living in the same households

Inorganic mercury (often mercurous chloride) is used in some skin-lightening creams produced outside the United States because it inhibits melanin formation when absorbed by the skin
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Silppuri

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
  • Laboratorian
    • Symbiosis
Re: Watch what you put on your skin - mercury cream!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
Good link. Now when I read that, I vaguely remember seeing a TV document on these mercury ointments some 10 years ago - if I recall correctly there were lots of African women who had been using these kind of products. Too bad that while the producer may know that these kind of creams are potentially lethal and extremely harmful to health in even the smallest doses, money speaks.

P.S. Luckily there's no need for me to use skin-lightening creams, otherwise next I'd probably lose my eyes and went to live in a cave.
If you add 1,00 litres of ethanol to 1,00 litres of water, you get 1,92 litres of solution.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Watch what you put on your skin - mercury cream!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Read about one year ago that TiO2 nanoparticles are now suspected by at least one research team of being carcinogens. Watch that one, as they're in Sun screens, toothpaste, skin creams and more.

Which would explain why melanomas progress while we use more Sun screen.

Different effects and logic than mercury, but the consequences would spread widely.

Sponsored Links