April 18, 2024, 06:17:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Planning experiments {MOD edited title}  (Read 13121 times)

Offline MedBaby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Planning experiments {MOD edited title}
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Ok, i am currently a Chemistry student and we were given a Planning and Design experiment that i have no idea how to approach. it goes like this:
Syllabus topic: Organic Chemistry
Background: In discussing fruits that were suitable for making wine, the following fruits were given:
cherries, oranges and pomeracs. Plan and design an experiment to find out which fruit would make the strongest wine.

Syllabus Topic: Energy and Energetics
Background: Charles, on reaching to what he learnt on the topic of energetics, hypothesized that the energy value of an alcohol depends on the number of carbon atoms it contains. Design an experiment to test the validity of Charles' hypothesis...
please help...idk where to begin ??? ???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:20:34 PM by Arkcon »
Hiya smart people. I am having a really difficult time with Chem but i;m sure u guys can help me with it tho..:)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Planning experiments {MOD edited title}
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »
OK, lets try to take these experiments one at a time.  What  do you know (or can find out) about wine making, and how we define the strength of wine.  If you've just done energetics, can you find any formulas for determining energy rating?  And what do you know of alcohols, and the number of carbons.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
ok.....well i know that the formation of alcohol/ethanol involves fermentation of sugars or yeast, and i know that alcohols contain two carbon atoms as well as hydroxide
Hiya smart people. I am having a really difficult time with Chem but i;m sure u guys can help me with it tho..:)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
fermentation of sugars or yeast

Should this have read?

fermentation of sugars using yeast

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
ok.....i know that alcohols contain two carbon atoms as well as hydroxide

Different alcohols contain different numbers of carbon atoms. Look up the structures for methanol, ethanol, n-propanol, isopropanol, and any other alcohols you have to work with.

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
Well we really don't need to go into depth of the different types of alcohols, but i need to set up an experiment to test the strengths of the alcohol/ethanol found in the fruits listed

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »
You know what i mean right...like create a method and list all of the apparatus and materials we need. So far I understand that both fermentation and fractional distillation needs to occur.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
Do you have to do a proper experimental design?

http://sciencefairproject.virtualave.net/scientific_method.htm

Do you have to do any of these steps?

Research Question:
Hypothesis:
Experimental Design:
    * Variables:
    * Control:
    * Observation:
    * Collect Data:
    * Journal:
    * Data:
    * Charts & Graphs:
Materials:
Procedure:
Results:
Conclusion:
Application:
Resources:

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Do you have to do a proper experimental design?

http://sciencefairproject.virtualave.net/scientific_method.htm

Do you have to do any of these steps?

Research Question:
Hypothesis:
Experimental Design:
    * Variables:
    * Control:
    * Observation:
    * Collect Data:
    * Journal:
    * Data:
    * Charts & Graphs:
Materials:
Procedure:
Results:
Conclusion:
Application:
Resources:
yes, that exactly, and I'm clueless as to how i should start.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »
That web site I posted should be able to give you guidance.

From your post
Well we really don't need to go into depth of the different types of alcohols, but i need to set up an experiment to test the strengths of the alcohol/ethanol found in the fruits listed

From the web site
Hypothesis: The hypothesis is an "educated guess," formed as a statement, that you propose to be the answer to the research question. An educated guess is based on some prior knowledge.

Based on your statement, I do not see how you are going to make a good hypothesis without understanding fermentation.

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Could we consider this from a more simple view-point? Do we know how much sugar is contained in each fruit type? Do we have a relationship relating sugar content to ethanol formation?

I guess that's what the experiment in a sense would be directed at finding out. You could just ferment each fruit and measure how much ethanol you get.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »

Ah, so you are only concerned with the first syllabus topic, not the second...

Billnotgatez gave you an excellent list of things to consider, and a good order to consider them in. How far have you gotten down that list? Have you, for example, formed a hypothesis that you can test? Have you begun to look at what variables you will need to measure, what controls you would need to run, what observations you would need to collect...?

Offline Quantumdotty

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
The energy experiment could be undertaken with a simple combustion experiment using an alcohol burning lamp. Simply put the same amount of moles of each alcohol in each lamp and use them to heat a known quantity of water. You know the specific heat capacity of water and thus the enthalpy of combustion can be calculated. Remember to weight the lamp before and after so you know how much fuel you used. Any shielding to improve the heat transfer to the water would also improve the experiment

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »
HYPOTHESIS: The fruit with the highest sugar content would produce the most alcohol.
TITLE: Comparing the strength of the alcohol contained in the following fruits: cherries, oranges and pomeracs.
AIM: To compare the strength of the alcohol contained in cherries, oranges and pomeracs.

Offline MedBaby

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
Methanol: 1 carbon
Ethanol: 2 carbons
Propanol: 3 carbons
Butanol: 4 carbons
Alcohols are soluble in water an less volatile than alkanes....I know all these things, but I can't develop a procedure for them. i need to know exactly how to use each process in the lab

Sponsored Links