March 28, 2024, 06:22:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: about sulfite and sulfate anion  (Read 2530 times)

Offline siriusorion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
about sulfite and sulfate anion
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
So we did QA, and a distinguishing test btw sulfite and sulfate anion is that when dilute nitric acid is added, sulfur dioxide gas is evolved for sulfite and no gas is evolved for sulfate. Is there an explanation for this? Like maybe because of their structure and bonding or sth?
Thx!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: about sulfite and sulfate anion
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
Yes.  There is an explanation.  Structure and bonding could give you a hint as to why, but even if you draw them out, you will need an 'A-ha' moment.  I'm guessing you've realized that they're made of the same elements, but there must be some difference anyway.  Have you discussed something lately in class?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline siriusorion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: about sulfite and sulfate anion
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:41:09 AM »
Nah we didnt really discuss that in class. I'm just curious about that. So when heated i assume a s-o bond breaks? so for sulfite there is a need to break only one bind but for sulfate there are two bonds to be broken.....I still dun see why. What prevents sulfate from evolving sulfur dioxide gas when heated? Sulfite has 3 equal bonds with resonance right? Then sulfate 2 double and 2 single bonds. sulfur dioxide has 1 double bond and 1 single. Oh can i ask when sulfur expands its octet does the electrons go to 4s or 3d? Like say if there are 10.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:19:18 AM by siriusorion »

Sponsored Links