April 25, 2024, 05:38:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Proving an equation of a wave  (Read 4196 times)

Offline themonk

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Proving an equation of a wave
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
I have this equation and I have to prove that it is true.

$$ y(x,t) = A*sin(\frac{2*\pi}{\lambda}*(x-v*t)) $$
(I'm sorry but I cannot get the LaTeX to work) - http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

I do not want to start and obviously don't want people to tell me how to finish the problem, but I just need a hint as to what to look for or do.

I know that the lambda is the wavelength, the v is the velocity (to the right) and that the frequency is mu which is equal to v/lambda.

I probably have to find another equation for y(x,t) (?) but reading through the book (Quantum Chemistry McQuarrie) is getting difficult and very confusing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:02:44 AM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Proving an equation of a wave
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:03:54 AM »
Your LaTeX looks OK to me. Check if you have Java enabled in your browser.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline themonk

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:24 AM »
Perfect.

And on a better note, I think I actually figured it out. Let me know what you think:

I took the derivative in terms of $$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} $$ and $$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} $$

Then setting them equal to each other using the this definition:
$$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{1}{v^{2}} \frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} $$

and solving showing that they are equal, therefore saying that the wavelength is lambda.

I actually worded the original question quite badly. I was putting it in my own words, but I had to prove that lambda was the wavelength for the equation given, that the frequency was mu=v/lambda, and that the velocity goes to the right. I figured out the other parts also (I hope), but won't worry about it too much.

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:03:43 AM »
Perfect.

And on a better note, I think I actually figured it out. Let me know what you think:

I took the derivative in terms of $$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} $$ and $$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} $$

Then setting them equal to each other using the this definition:
$$ \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \frac{1}{v^{2}} \frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} $$

and solving showing that they are equal, therefore saying that the wavelength is lambda.

I actually worded the original question quite badly. I was putting it in my own words, but I had to prove that lambda was the wavelength for the equation given, that the frequency was mu=v/lambda, and that the velocity goes to the right. I figured out the other parts also (I hope), but won't worry about it too much.

Only a comment, total derivatives must be replaced by partial ones.
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Sponsored Links