April 26, 2024, 10:57:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Polymer Search  (Read 4964 times)

Offline sam2203

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Organic Polymer Search
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
Objectives

I am seeking an organic polymer that is a solid material in the absence of solvents. The organic polymer material should be one that flows under high pressure or high shear and have good adhesion to metals such as stainless steel. The material should burn off cleanly.

Must Haves

Should have a good tensile and shear strength and good adhesion to metal surfaces and be non-tacky under ambient temperatures and pressures.
Material should leave less than 1% residue after prolonged exposure to temperatures in excess of 400°C in air.
May be supplied in a solid form or in a solution, with an aqueous solution preferred.
Minimum of freedom to practice in combination with key materials.
No regulatory negative issues; may require regional registration.

Nice-to-Haves

Preference will be given to materials that are soluble or dispersible in water for application but resistant to atmospheric moisture once applied.
Safety data or safety profile (demonstrated safety via Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Ready-to-go products or ingredients compatible with aqueous solutions.
History of safe use, minimal additonal safety testing required.
Patented / trade secret formulations.
Environmentally friendly.
Commercially available.

Offline sam2203

Re: Organic Polymer Search
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:11:43 AM »
I will appreciate valuable suggestions and opinions of experts.

Offline sam2203

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:12:00 AM »
*Ignore me, I am impatient*

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
 and I'd like to turn lead into gold but that's not going to happen either.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
sam2203:, you have enough specific information on your needs to talk directly to plastic manufacturers and ask them what they'd suggest.  Then can also let you know what specifications they can't match.  Your specifications for "good adhesion" and "ability to flow under force" could use some more specific quantitative specification.  But the "water-soluble" yet "resistant to moisture" may be asking for too much.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline sam2203

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »
and I'd like to turn lead into gold but that's not going to happen either.

Fan of sarcasm ? :P ...

Anything close will also be appreciated. Just give me a jump start guys.. Where to look , how to look

coz I last time I studied organic structures I was in school.. it has been 6 years now ... so help plz :)

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:48:26 AM »
No sam I just do not like people who ask for the earth and 2 hours later when nobody has answered they ask again. 

The requirements you have are at times vague and others are very specific but contradictory.   You need to do a lot more work to identify and understand what you want and which bits can be acheived and which bits can not.

Just because you want something and write it down does not mean it is possible and is going to happen. 

If you walked into a car showroom and asked for a 5 wheel, 3 door car, that can carry 10 people, do 0-60 in 1 sec, has a top speed of 300+mph but is comfortable, roomy, safe, enviromentally friendly, recycleable, runs on fresh air and can also convert in to a boat and a plane they'd tell you to get lost. 

Offline sam2203

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
That is why I said anything close .. meeting most or any of the requirement. I am just asking for most suitable match . if not exact

Offline jaspevacek

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
    • It's the Rheo Thing
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
How about a hot melt adhesive? Go with an EVA or nylon or urethane or...

How difficult is this? Honestly? I don't see anything here that is unclear, contradictory or otherwise a problem. Water soluble but resistant to moisture has your knickers tied in a knot? How about a water-dispersed polymer?

7 replies already on this and no one has an honest answer?

Sponsored Links