April 29, 2024, 12:47:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which complex is easier to oxidize and why?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline mistche20

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Which complex is easier to oxidize and why?
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:27:00 AM »
[Co(H2O)6]2+ is more difficult to oxidize to Co(III) than [Co(NH3)6]2+.

[Co(H2O)6]2+ is a high spin complex, and [Co(NH3)6]2+ a low spin one.

but why is the first one more difficult to oxidize than the second one?

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Which complex is easier to oxidize and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
The fact that the spins are different probably has a hint in it... The high spin complex has the ligands using up the 4s and 4p orbitals leaving the d orbital free with many unpaired electrons from which one can be removed rather easily to oxidize the metal ion.

On the contrary, since the low spin complex's ligands occupy the d-orbitals, with only one unpaired electron, oxidizing is a bit difficult, because it involves removing an electron from the very same d-subshell.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline mistche20

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »
The fact that the spins are different probably has a hint in it... The high spin complex has the ligands using up the 4s and 4p orbitals leaving the d orbital free with many unpaired electrons from which one can be removed rather easily to oxidize the metal ion.

On the contrary, since the low spin complex's ligands occupy the d-orbitals, with only one unpaired electron, oxidizing is a bit difficult, because it involves removing an electron from the very same d-subshell.

shouldn't that be the other way around? for the high spin complex, my guess is that since there are many electrons with the same spin, removing an electron would result in a decrease of exchange energy K. But for the low spin complex, there are less eletrons with the same spin and hence it's easier to remove it??

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Oh! I wasnt even paying attention to what point I was making :P I'm truly sorry. Seems like I have given the exact wrong answer :P :P
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links