April 28, 2024, 08:11:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bond Between Carbonyl and CO2  (Read 2447 times)

Offline panathinaikos13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bond Between Carbonyl and CO2
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question; I am doing a Molecular Dynamics simulation and there is a Carbonyl and CO2 molecules. What type of bonding is met there? For example in case of H2O and C=O a hydrogen bonding is met.

Thanks
D

Offline Organic_lover*

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
Re: Bond Between Carbonyl and CO2
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
Hey panathinaikos13!

Well I think that the interaction between the carbonyl group and the carbon dioxide molecules is the van Der Waals interaction.

I analise like this:

The carbonyl group is a polar group, in other words, there is a considerable electronegativity difference between carbon and oxigen atoms. But in the case of CO2, which is a linear molecule, this pole is "canceled" and the carbon dioxide is considerated non polar.

So, I think that can happen a pole induction due to the polar nature of the carbonyl in the CO2 molecules. The carbonyl electron cloud induct the polarization of the electron cloud of carbon dioxide.

It's that what I think that happens, but I'm not pretty sure of it (sorry about that). I will wait for someone answer better your question. ^^

Bye bye o/

"Nothing in life is to be feared, only understood. Now is the time to understand more to fear less." {Marie Curie}

Sponsored Links