April 27, 2024, 02:26:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rotational energy levels  (Read 7101 times)

Offline disillusioned19

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Rotational energy levels
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
If the jth rotational energy is given by [J(J+I)ħ2]/(2μR2) of a diatomic molecule where μ is the reduced mass of both particles, I is the moment of inertia ,J is the rotational quantum number and R the bond length, what happens when we look at the lowest energy level, where J=0. Does this mean that molecules occupying the rotational ground state have zero rotational energy?

Offline dipesh747

• Mole Snacks: +7/-7
Re: Rotational energy levels
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Yes. When J = 0 there is no rotational energy. Vibrational energy (if my memory serves correct) is En = J(J+1)hcb so if J=0 the rotational energy is 0. 

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
If the jth rotational energy is given by [J(J+I)h2]/(2µR2) of a diatomic molecule where µ is the reduced mass of both particles, I is the moment of inertia ,J is the rotational quantum number and R the bond length, what happens when we look at the lowest energy level, where J=0. Does this mean that molecules occupying the rotational ground state have zero rotational energy?

The response to your question is yes, somewhat as a particle with zero momentum has zero kinetic energy (## p^2/2m ##).

But what disturbs me is your formula. Moment of inertia I has dimensions of mass times distance squared. How could I sum to J which is a number?

The expression for the rotational energy levels is
$$ E(J) = \frac{J(J+1)\hbar^2}{2I} $$
with ## I = \mu R^2 ##
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:02:40 AM by Borek »
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Offline disillusioned19

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
Not really disturbing, just a typographical error.

Offline juanrga

• Mole Snacks: +16/-11
    • juanrga - sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
Not really disturbing, just a typographical error.

Hum, if we accept that was a typographical error and that you did mean "1" instead of "I", in your formula, your original post (with the corrected formula) would be

Quote from: disillusioned19
If the jth rotational energy is given by [J(J+1)ħ2]/(2μR2) of a diatomic molecule where μ is the reduced mass of both particles, I is the moment of inertia ,J is the rotational quantum number and R the bond length, what happens when we look at the lowest energy level, where J=0. Does this mean that molecules occupying the rotational ground state have zero rotational energy?

but then in the text you write "I is the moment of inertia" alluding to a I, which would be nowhere in the formula ::).
Sharing unified knowledge in pure and applied sciences

Sponsored Links