April 19, 2024, 09:15:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Proton diffusion and migration across a membrane  (Read 2741 times)

Offline vfrb118

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Proton diffusion and migration across a membrane
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this type of question, but here goes. Let's say I have two volumes divided by a proton conducting membrane (Nafion). Each side contains a different concentration of H2SO4 (aq) solution, so they will dissociate into protons, sulfate, and bisulfate ions. Will the concentrations of each of the ions eventually be equal on both sides? If so, what exactly is happening and what are the mechanisms involved?

With my very basic understanding of diffusion and migration, I think all of the ions should travel across because of the concentration gradient. How does the proton-selectivity of the membrane affect the diffusion of the negative ions? I think the reason all of the ions have to pass through and not just the protons is that this will create a charge imbalance across the membrane. Anyway, enough rambling. Somebody please enlighten me.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Proton diffusion and migration across a membrane
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »
Will the concentrations of each of the ions eventually be equal on both sides?

No.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Proton diffusion and migration across a membrane
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:56:23 AM »
You have a large mix of if's and but's in your question.  Can you break it down into a simpler form, to help you understand it better?  You're making a logical jump that you really shouldn't.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links