April 17, 2024, 08:09:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need clarification in texts wording, solution layers and ketone  (Read 3228 times)

tibberous

Need clarification in texts wording, solution layers and ketone
« on: October 31, 2005, 05:16:08 PM »
Hello everyone :) I am new to this hobby and was hoping you guys could clarify something for me.

A text I was reading it says that a ketone forms a layer in a solution (this is due to a reaction). Now, after the solution is cool, the ketone layer is seperated. Then, the acid layer is extracted with ether.

Now, is the ketone layer going to be at the top of the solution or the bottom? Is there a way to tell?

Is the acid layer the ketone formed layer, or is the acid layer the non-ketone layer?

Also, once the acid layer is extracted with ether, it refers to an oil layer and an ether layer. Would I be safe to assume the oil layer would float on top?

Guess this stuff is written for smarter people than myself, but things could be made so much easier if 20 words were used in place of 10...

Thanks a lot for any help :D

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Need clarification in texts wording, solution layers and ketone
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:26:31 PM »
Heavier and denser solutions will sink to the bottom, while lighter less dense solvents will float on top.

Assuming that the two "layers" are not miscible (ie they won't just combine to form one solution) then you should see two layers (usually performed in a separatory funnel).

In general "oil" floats on top of water, lots of hydrocarbon solvents float on top of water. Chlorinated solvents such as dichloromethane etc will sink under the water as they are quite "heavy".

If you are in doubt you can usually choose one of the solvents you know is present and add a little more to see which layer "gets bigger".  For example if you suspect that water is on the bottom but you are not sure, take a little pure water and add it to the system, it they bottom layer gets bigger then the bottom layer is the aqueous (water) layer.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links