April 28, 2024, 10:46:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ions  (Read 3040 times)

Offline solution101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ions
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »
I was conducting a little solution chemistry by mixing lemon juice with varying amounts of NaHCO3 and Ca(OH)2 and created a solution that is corrosive to copper when an electrical current passes through it. The next morning I found something I did not take into account. There was a layer of powder at the bottom of the test tube. It dawned on me that the negative ions from the lemon juice must have reacted with the posive ions of the other substances. :)

Offline solution101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Ions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
if you think my post is stupid remember this. I'M 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
It dawned on me that the negative ions from the lemon juice must have reacted with the posive ions of the other substances. :)
It could be the calcium ions reacting with the citrate ions in the lemon juice to give you this powder at the bottom. Calcium citrate doesn't dissolve that easily.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:17 PM »
if you think my post is stupid remember this. I'M 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never give someone an opening line of attack like that.  I never benefits you, and the unscrupulous never hold back their comments. 

Your original post is a little bit all over the place, however.  You've mentioned lemon juice mixed with two salts for conductivity.  Yet each of those alone can conduct electricity, maybe Ca(OH)2 a little less, and likewise eventually corrode copper.  Even electrolysis itself can possibly damage (one) copper electrode.  You might want, in the future, to do things one step at a time, recording what you see at each step, even if you see nothing at all.  The science comes out better that way.  ;)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links