April 29, 2024, 07:55:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Swedish chemistry dissertations - why no experimental?  (Read 5302 times)

Offline dickwife

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Swedish chemistry dissertations - why no experimental?
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
Swedish organic chemistry dissertations contain some really nice chemistry. But there is no experimental section - does anyone know why? Really grateful if you can help here

Offline Telamond

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
Re: Swedish chemistry dissertations - why no experimental?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »
Why should the experimental section be part of the dissertation? They're usually in the supporting info along side the actual papers.

Offline dickwife

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:49:23 AM »
Everywhere else in the world, theses or dissertations do contain the full experimental details on each reaction; so why not in Sweden? I am not talking about papers to Journals, but theses and dissertations. Does anyone have an answer for this? Thanks

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:51 AM »
Everywhere else in the world, theses or dissertations do contain the full experimental details on each reaction; so why not in Sweden? I am not talking about papers to Journals, but theses and dissertations. Does anyone have an answer for this? Thanks

Perhaps they are in two volumes, one containing intro, results and discussion, the second the experimental part?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline dickwife

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:07:21 AM »
Interesting. But if they indeed are in 2 volumes (one for the story and the other for the experimental) why are not both up on the Internet as in all other countries? The mystery has not been solved...

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58:30 AM »
Probably they publish theses as a mandatory requirement, and it has not been published in a paper yet.  keeping info out of the thesis means nobody can steal it.

Offline dickwife

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 04:05:13 AM »
OK - does this mean only Swedes are afraid of people "stealing" their results? And isn't academic research all about sharing results? Not convinced...

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:15:31 AM »
OK - does this mean only Swedes are afraid of people "stealing" their results? And isn't academic research all about sharing results? Not convinced...

Why not phone a university and ask them?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Woodwardt84

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:01:53 AM »
Im from sweden, ph.d student in organic chemistry and what you say make no sense. Or i don't understand your question. Our dissertations are in divided in two parts, thesis and publications. You can find all the experimental data your interested in, in the publications part

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:02 AM »
I've seen Swedish Ph.D thesis while I was postdoc in Sweden: format A5 written both sides with typically 60 pages dissertation + copy of all publications. Students print dozens of their thesis to give to everyone in the lab. They also keep copies to give away during conferences and job interviews.

The experimental part is to be found in the publications section, within each paper. This means the thesis can't contain results that have not been published, or at least submitted to a peer reviewed journal. It puts pressure on a student and his supervisor to publish something in order to be allowed to defend, which avoids having students abandoned from their supervisor and finishing out with no publication (as I have seen in UK). Swedish research groups tend to be smaller than in UK with more interactions between students and the supervisor. It has nothing to do with research secrecy.

Offline dickwife

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
My thanks to Woodward84 and cth! I still find this strange but this is only because in other countries it is different. Final question: can I access this experimental data online? Once again, my thanks for taking the time to answer my query - Dick

Offline cth

• Mole Snacks: +36/-8
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
Final question: can I access this experimental data online?

I would think so. If you're interested in experimental part only, just get the related publication.

If you want the whole thesis, you can contact the library of the university where the thesis was submitted. They must have a copy of it.

Offline Woodwardt84

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
What is unusual is to find an electronic version of the dissertation, not to mention online availability...

Offline Woodwardt84

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:12:34 AM »
You can always find the publication online. If you want the whole dissertation you will have to contact the university library in question since dissertation, as i mentioned before, are rarely find online.

Sponsored Links