April 19, 2024, 04:20:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why does this magnet behave this way?  (Read 6003 times)

Corvettaholic

Why does this magnet behave this way?
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:10:07 AM »
So I was rummaging through old stuff at work one day, and I came across a dead SCSI hard drive. Being true to my nature, I ripped out the big fat rare earth magnet. This thing is freaking huge, with a 1/4" thick steel plate mounted to it. This thing can smash fingers good if they get in the path of this magnet and a metal surface.

Now to play with it. So I poked it with a screwdriver. The driver stuck real good to the magnet itself, but when I touched the driver to the steel plate the magnet is mounted on, there is very little attraction. Why is this?

I'm guessing its because the steel plate is absorbing a good chunk of the magnetic energy available, and there is very little left to grab anything else. I guess its like picking up paperclips with an electromagnet, you can only pick up so many. Also, I think its safe to assume this steel plate is mounted directly on either the North or South pole, but I can't determine which one it is. Not that I really care either, its only one magnet. But if I had a bunch of these, I think I'd care then or risk turning my hand into a pancake.

hafford

Re:Why does this magnet behave this way?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:05:27 AM »
Ok
 you stated you have played with electromagnets, how do i reverse the pularity. so it will repell a normal magnet?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 06:58:35 AM »
sounds just right.

if there's an iron core, it'll probably concentrate all the magnetic flux within itself
one learns best by teaching

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 03:22:34 AM »
you stated you have played with electromagnets, how do i reverse the pularity. so it will repell a normal magnet?

Reverse the direction of the current, this will reverse the magnetic poles. :)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links