April 27, 2024, 03:09:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with some labs  (Read 8334 times)

Offline kerschel

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help with some labs
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
numbers 1,2,3 to be handed in on or before 16/6/2011 the others to be handed in or before 9/9/2011 any problems call miss at *personal contact info deleted by moderator*

1. plan and design an experiment to show which  salt is most soluble;zinc chloride;sodium chloride

2. there are 2 salts on a bench in the lab. zinc chloride and lead chloride but the lab assistant does not know which is which. plan and design an experiment to identify the salts for the lab assistant.

3. plan and design an experimen to show if copper sulphate is he best catalyst in the reaction between zinc and hydrocloric acid.

4. stearic acid has  a melting temperature of 660(degrees). trudy claims that an impurity such as glucose raises the melting temperature of stearic acid. design an experiment to test Trudy's claim.

5. john says hat ethanol is the best feul for his car. alan says that pertol is the best feu for his car. plan and design and experiment to show which is the best fuel.(page 130 of chemistry explain)

6. audio tapes consist of plastic impregnated with material such as iron chromium oxide. design an experiment to show that a given brand of audio tapes contain iron.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:44:11 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need help with some labs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:52 AM »
Greetings kerschel:, and welcome to the Chemical Forums.  Please take a moment to read the Forum Rules, highlighted in red above, you agreed to them, when you registered for this forum.  You posting is a violation of several of the rules:  we're not here to do all you work for you, and we're not going to answer 6 complex questions with no work from you other than a cut and paste that leaves out info.  And letting us know when you need it by is an attitude I expect from my boss, who gives me a paycheck, not some kid in school.

P.S.  to protect you, I've deleted your contact information.  We can still reach you via these forums.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kerschel

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »
ops i was in a hurry i just copy and past sorry

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
OK.  Can you begin to solve number 1?

Offline kerschel

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
I said to place both salts in water and see which dissolves faster and i got low marks for that

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
Well, they asked "most soluble", not "fastest soluble."  So, can you fix your answers?  Understand what parameters each question wants you to test, and test for that one.

Offline kerschel

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
isnt it the same? or can u explain why its not

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
They are definitely different concepts on a fundamental -- that is, not chemical  -- level.  Try to think about it a bit.

Offline Mirage

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:59 PM »
Think of a way to find how much H2O will dissolve equal amounts of sodium and zinc chloride.
How would you do this?

For question 2, search "qualitative flame test" on google. Try and figure of the procedure for yourself.

Hope this helps

Mirage

Sponsored Links