April 29, 2024, 11:20:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What was the ultraviolet catastrophe  (Read 3411 times)

Offline CrimpJiggler

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
What was the ultraviolet catastrophe
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
I'm trying to get my head around exactly what this ultraviolet catastrophe is. So the early 20th century scientists were studying black body emission spectra (at constant temperatures) and plotted the intensity of the emitted light, against the frequency/wavelength. From what I've read, classical physics theory predicts that the intensity should continue to increase as the frequency of the light increases. Thats the concept I'm stuck on. So heres a black body emission spectrum:

The black line is what classical theory predicts, the other lines are what really happens. Sorry if this is a difficult question to answer but why does classical theory predict that the emitted light should rise in intensity like that?

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: What was the ultraviolet catastrophe
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

Offline CrimpJiggler

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
Re: What was the ultraviolet catastrophe
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
I read the wiki page, along with every tutorial on the first page of google results. I'm having trouble understanding the explanations. In the wiki page, they state:
And, since each mode will have the same energy, most of the energy in a natural vibrator will be in the smaller wavelengths and higher frequencies, where most of the modes are.
When they say that most of the modes are in the smaller wavelengths, what does that mean? I don't actually know how thermal radiation is produced yet so I suppose I'd better learn that first.

Sponsored Links