April 29, 2024, 11:34:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need help with simple question on a lab.  (Read 2497 times)

Offline student1992

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Need help with simple question on a lab.
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:35:40 PM »
So we did a lab in school on what is the effect of flour on slime which is mixed with borax and glue on the length it can be stretched. I have completed the experiment and found out it stretched much longer than the control variable with is normal slime without flour. I finish writing my conclusion and are now on the 4 question. I read through the question and managed to only understand 1 of those. Others I do not understand.

1. Using blocks as monomers, create diagram of what you think is happening in your control group and experimental group?

I didn't quite understand it but I thought is to create a picture of the slime with and without the flour and compare the difference? So i drew 2 polymers. Control one was much shorter because it didn't stretch as long and the experimental one is longer with more blocks. Is that what I'm suppose to do?

2.Starching is a polymer made of sugar. Using blocks as monomers, draw a diagram and label it with the term starch, sugar. monomer, and polymer.

I couldn't even guess on this one.

3.Proteins are polymers of amino acids. Using blocks as monomers, draw a diagram of a protein molecule.

Again, I could guess on this one.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Need help with simple question on a lab.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Number 1 is pretty good.  You've managed to relate the properties to your diagram.  Are you sure stretchability is related to polymer length?  Maybe you want to visualize other, stretchy, bouncy, ... um ... springy things and see how you can relate your diagram.

OK, the others are simple too.  "Using blocks" means they don't want you to draw the atoms of the molecules, just represent them with squares.  You have to describe the properties without the atoms and molecules.  So you have to look at just the properties based on structure, not atoms.  For example, are proteins and starch "stretchable" at all?  Are they like your slime, or not.  Try to draw each of your polymers with their properties in mind.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:05:15 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline student1992

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
Okay, Thanks.

Offline student1992

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
But the second one doesn't make sense at all when it says label polymer because isn't the whole thing a polymer? same with starch because I'm drawing starch.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
Yeah.  Starch vs. polymer labeling.  That is weird.  Do your best.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links