March 19, 2024, 02:17:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Compatibility of common materials with 1,1,2,2-Tetrabromoethane  (Read 694 times)

Offline Machinist60

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Compatibility of common materials with 1,1,2,2-Tetrabromoethane
« on: October 05, 2023, 09:06:26 PM »
Hello and thanks for accepting me in this forum.  I am old, retired and no chemist.
I am attempting to restore to working condition a Hobson Telegauge in a 1930 Rolls Royce Phantom II.  This device is used as an indicator for the gasoline level in the fuel tank.  The indicator in the dashboard is manometer containing red dyed Tetrabromoethane.   The pressure is monitored at the bottom of the fuel tank by a small container filled with air,  this pressure is piped to the manometer in the dash.
The original manometer is a 1/4" glass tube along side a graduated scale.  The bottom is connected to a small Tetrabromoethane reservoir, the other 1/2 of the 'U' and on to the pressure sensor through a very small diameter brass tube.  The top of the glass tube runs back through another small diameter brass tube back to free air in top of the tank.
The original manometer had the glass tube reduced in size to seal onto a very small diameter copper tube connected to the reservoir.  The glass at this joint has cracked over the years and now the Tetrabromoethane leaks.
I have glass tube and can draw it down to a size to fit the copper tube. 
My question is how to get a good seal between the glass and copper tube?
Are modern plastic type adhesives that allow a little flexibility, small diameter clear plastic tubing or silicone, resistant to Tetrabromoethane?
If anyone has any advice on what to use it will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 10:34:37 PM by Machinist60 »

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
Re: Compatibility of common materials with 1,1,2,2-Tetrabromoethane
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:45:29 AM »
Hi Machinst,

Based upon your specific problem I strongly suspect that Viton (FKM rubber) tubing would do the trick... It should cause no issues with TBE, has a decent amount of elasticity (at least compared to PTFE tubing) and its not especially expensive.

R

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 02:31:05 PM »
Nice with a practical problem like this! I think a manufacturer of different plastic/rubber materials can give you a very good answer. They know what the materials are compatible with.
As we say in Sweden; You are not old, you are year-rich.

Offline Machinist60

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 09:49:22 PM »
Many thanks for your replies and kind words.
A source of FKM rubber tube of 1/16" internal diameter was found at a hardware supplier in the USA.
Once received seals with copper tube and drawn down glass will be tested.

Sponsored Links